Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: FAMU Law School  (Read 18098 times)

hookup

• View Profile
Re: FAMU Law School
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2010, 12:54:01 AM »
I wonder if first year student gets lower than 2.0, is there any chance to get into second year

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2010, 01:23:43 AM »
Its called academic probation. They get one term of that and then its the loser path to an MBA.

I wonder if first year student gets lower than 2.0, is there any chance to get into second year

flyorlando

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2010, 04:43:14 AM »

FAMU grades on a C curve for the first year or for part timers a little longer simply because the curriculum takes longer to get through.  Part Timers have to achieve or maintain a 2.0 after they complete 30 or so credit hours.  If you fail to achieve a 2.0 you will automatically be 'academically dismissed' but this is appealable.  If you win the appeal, and happen to be enrolled, you can finish and better hope that term's grades gets you above a 2.0.  If not, you are gone and cannot reapply for 2 years.  If you do make it, you have to maintain the 2.0 or the chopping block/appeal process starts.

After the 30 hour mark there is a B curve...  If you go to www.law.famu.edu and click on the current students tab look to the left and you will see the student handbook in PDF form.  It has probably everything you want to know about operations and academic related information.

Hope that helps...  and yes, I am going to FAMU.  The college is great and there are, like many colleges, a few professors to stear clear of...but then there are those that SHINE!

As to why FAMU COL is in Orlando, well it was political and revolved around geographic locations of other law schools that were accredited at the time and it was uncertain if Barry would get accreditation. I am sure you can find an article or two on it.

Good luck to you and everyone else considering or headed to FAMU.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2010, 10:49:07 AM »
so on a B curve, what happens if you get a C?

FAMU grades on a C curve for the first year or for part timers a little longer simply because the curriculum takes longer to get through.  Part Timers have to achieve or maintain a 2.0 after they complete 30 or so credit hours.  If you fail to achieve a 2.0 you will automatically be 'academically dismissed' but this is appealable.  If you win the appeal, and happen to be enrolled, you can finish and better hope that term's grades gets you above a 2.0.  If not, you are gone and cannot reapply for 2 years.  If you do make it, you have to maintain the 2.0 or the chopping block/appeal process starts.

After the 30 hour mark there is a B curve...  If you go to www.law.famu.edu and click on the current students tab look to the left and you will see the student handbook in PDF form.  It has probably everything you want to know about operations and academic related information.

Hope that helps...  and yes, I am going to FAMU.  The college is great and there are, like many colleges, a few professors to stear clear of...but then there are those that SHINE!

As to why FAMU COL is in Orlando, well it was political and revolved around geographic locations of other law schools that were accredited at the time and it was uncertain if Barry would get accreditation. I am sure you can find an article or two on it.

Good luck to you and everyone else considering or headed to FAMU.

rollwiththechanges

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2011, 08:59:19 PM »
don't see a student handbook for FAMU on their website.