Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How important are Extracurricular Activities?  (Read 2622 times)

foxtrot

• View Profile
    • Email
How important are Extracurricular Activities?
« on: October 01, 2009, 02:09:07 PM »
Seriously how important are they for example if I were to have a 3.8 GPA and maybe a 165 LSAT but absoulutely no extracurricular activities, would my chances of getting into a good school be lower as opposed to someone with lower grades but is more active?

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How important are Extracurricular Activities?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 10:06:33 PM »
ECs are usually a non-factor in admissions. They may come into play down the line when applying for certain types of jobs or internships (or special scholarships, like a public interest scholarship that you have to provide a separate essay for) but since most law students have similar and very typical ECs they generally don't mean a whole lot. Schools are basically focused on the numbers.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 01:45:08 PM »
Seriously how important are they for example if I were to have a 3.8 GPA and maybe a 165 LSAT but absoulutely no extracurricular activities, would my chances of getting into a good school be lower as opposed to someone with lower grades but is more active?

It matters while in law school, but not pre-law school.  Think Law Review, Moot Court, Trial Court, Internship with Judge, etc. 

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 03:37:00 PM »
ECs are irrelevant for everyone but UMich and Yale.
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN