Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Taking study breaks  (Read 588 times)

marsilni

• View Profile
Taking study breaks
« on: October 01, 2009, 07:10:23 AM »
With classes in full swing, I have a lot less time to study for the LSAT now than I did during the summer.  However, I notice that I seem to be improving much faster now with more time off between study sessions; everything just makes more sense.  Does anyone else notice they do better when they take a break from studying? Is less really more?

!закон и право!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Taking study breaks
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 08:58:25 AM »
Yes. I've said it innumerable times in many other threads. Less is definitely more. Especially after a certain point.

What I mean is, that once you've gone through your prep materials (e.g. the PS Bibles) once or twice, the concepts should be cemented in your mind. All that is left is to take PTs and review your incorrect answer choices - in which case, more almost inevitably leads to burnout. Less is more in that respect.

!закон и право!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Taking study breaks
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 09:02:15 AM »
I realize that advice may not hold true for every person. But in my experience it seems that those who overdo LSAT prep tend to fall well short of their potential come test day.

The LSAT is not a test of knowledge. It is a test of an acquired set of skills, that can, by virtue of being acquired, be learned and applied through trial and error.

It's like working out. If you want to get stronger, would you work out 8 hours a day, every day for 6 months straight? Hell no. Your body wouldn't have time to repair. Ideally, you'd work out an hour a day, 3 days a week with breaks every 6 week interval to allow your body to repair and adjust to the impacted strain.