Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What are my chances  (Read 544 times)

Squish

• View Profile
    • Email
What are my chances
« on: September 30, 2009, 11:29:50 PM »
I'm currently enrolled at Ohio Northern University and am trying to decide on some addition schools to apply to.

I took the LSAT last Saturday and am expecting no worse than a 155 on it but I estimate my score could be as high as a 164. I'm predicting a score in the 158-160 range based on how I felt about it. If I don't get quite that, I may retake in December which will almost surely result in a better score due to having more time to study (I only put in a month for the September LSAT).

One of my problems is my GPA which is lackluster at a 3.1. I changed majors out of a very tough Pharmacy program at ONU and will walk with a Religious studies major in which my grades are impeccable. In addition I feel I can make my GPA look significantly better after I explain my worst series of 3 quarters during which my girlfriend was on chemotherapy and school more or less took a back seat. I like to think the people reading my app will overlook at least some of my poor grades over that time.

My resume seems strong but I can't really judge it. I've been in a fraternity for 4 years and held numerous positions culminating in being VP last year. I've also held exec positions in the College Democrats (ONU College Dem of the year in 2006), co-founded the chess club, and have been inducted to a religious studies honorary where I'm now the secretary. In addition I've done tons of service (I was community service/philanthropy chair of my fraternity for 2 and a half years) and I have published religious articles and other papers online. I've also participated in numerous intramural sports. I like to think my letters of recommendation will be quite strong as all my teachers in the religion department like me (I taught one of my teacher's classes in her absence). I haven't been employed for the last two years but I worked at a golf course as a caddy and bag room supervisor the 8 years prior.

My target school is currently the University of Toledo because my parents live in Toledo so it will allow me to live at home to decrease the amount of debt. My parents both graduated from UT and I have been viewed favorably by the school in the past as they offered me a near full ride out of college. Admissions there gets tougher every year and I'm wondering if anybody could tell me my chances.

My safe school right not is ONU where I'm currently enrolled as an UG. Graduates from here tend to receive very favorable decisions from the Law school. I like to think that I have a very good chance of getting in with any score above a 150.

I was also thinking of applying to OSU as a reach school and possibly Akron, EMU and Dayton. Anywhere else in Ohio I should think of applying as a reach, target, or safe school?

Another question I have may be a little far fetched but I figure I'll ask anyway. I've been playing fantasy sports (particularly fantasy football) for several years now and I'm quite good at it. I like to think that being good requires a ton of research, an ability to sift through data, and a need to make good decisions when posed with a dilemma. My question is, would it be stupid to include information about this interest in applications? If not, how would I use it to my advantage?

Any thoughts? Advice or comments would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: What are my chances
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 09:23:14 AM »
Generally speaking, all they care about are your numbers. They don't care what position you held in your frat or whether you are the world champion of fantasy sports. A 164 is a completely different animal from a 155- so you are going to have to sit tight until your score comes in.

www.lawschoolnumbers.com is a good resource for chances.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

bryan9584

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 07:11:53 PM »
I concur with the previous poster, you won't know until you get your score. If you are not within the range for a certain school, you will likely not get accepted unless you are an URM or International student. Further, since you have a gpa that is toward the lower end or below most schools range, you will probably have to compensate by having a lsat score in the percentile. Unfortunately its really a numbers game...

Squish

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 09:31:31 PM »
Understood. I'll post my score when I receive it.

If I score under a 160, would you recommend retaking it in December?