Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Another - WHERE CAN I GO?  (Read 743 times)

wyatth

• View Profile
    • Email
Another - WHERE CAN I GO?
« on: September 30, 2009, 07:40:13 PM »
white male. good softs, solid PS/LORs, 164 lsat first/only attempt. cum gpa of crap... 2.7, but good progression, from 2.0, 2.5, 3.0, and 3.5 (or close to that). political science and economics. basic addendum for GPA.
did my undergrad at UBC in Canada which I think helps diversify the student body. I am completing my apps in the next week or 2, so they will in very early.

reach:
fordham PT (would love full time but unlikely)
george washington PT (for some reason they've mailed me a LOT through the LSAC)
georgetown PT
UC Hastings
UC Davis

should be able to:
Loyola
Cardozo (they also sent me stuff through LSAC and waived the application fee)

Safety:
Santa Clara
Univ of San Diego

Basically I have checked Chiasu, LSAC chance calculator, and LSN. But that does not factor PT chances or other factors. Give it to me strait if you can say anything else! Particularly in regards to PT.

hopefulsplitter28

• View Profile
Re: Another - WHERE CAN I GO?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 12:35:58 AM »
I think you are overshooting. You can try www.lawschoolnumbers.com to see the stats of admitted/waitlisted/rejected applicants.

Also a good tool: www.lawschoolpredictor.com. It calculates your "index" (basically a score computed from the LSAT and GPA), compares it with the indices of the 25th and 75th percentile applicant, and predicts your chances.

Based on your numbers, loyola is a "weak consider", while cardozo is a "deny".

wyatth

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 03:34:37 AM »
that's a good site, thanks!

yeah i am overshooting i'm sure. keeping some safeties and not hoping for much on the top end, but worth a shot. maybe 1 will bite, and then it would all be worth it.
really depends on 3 factors - how they rank my undergrad school (if they want more schools represented), how they rank improvement, and how they like my PS/LORs. a lot is in the air.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 09:26:18 AM »
I really don't think schools care about representing a breadth of different institutions, so you're really overstating its importance. At my school, there are a ton of HYP alumni (definitely a plurality in my section), and then there's random sprinklings of other schools. All the things that you mention (improvement, PS/LORs, etc) are all soft factors and tbh, aren't likely to help much unless you're close to their numbers. Getting mailings through LSAC doesn't also mean anything either -- it's entirely possible to get mailings and then get WL or denied.

I feel about 99.9% sure you're not getting any of the reach schools you mentioned. You need to add more realistic target schools and more safeties if you're trying to overshoot and see if one will bite -- ESPECIALLY with the increased number of people taking the LSAT and hoping to come to law school.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

wyatth

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 05:58:52 PM »
fair enough, thanks for the words. i will research a few more schools. thanks again

wyatth

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 07:24:32 PM »
not even trying for georgetown PT anymore. but i am applying to the University of Illinois. another reach.

undecided27

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 08:19:20 PM »
Indiana University Bloomington is auto admit with a 164 LSAT regardless of how low your GPA is.  They are ranked 23.

wyatth

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 04:00:52 AM »
Oh, nice! I will look into that school. Interesting. Thanks for the heads up! Appreciate it.