Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Early Commitments  (Read 448 times)

wyatth

• View Profile
    • Email
Early Commitments
« on: September 29, 2009, 11:49:31 PM »
Hello,
Just wondering HOW these are so binding?
I think they are a nice tool that can increase acceptance odds if you're on the edge, so I don't want to waste it. But they still give you some time before you must send in your deposits. So how do they force you to withdraw your other applications? Can they report you to the LSAC or anything?
Or is it an ethical pull?

Cheers

hopefulsplitter28

• View Profile
Re: Early Commitments
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 02:46:39 PM »
I read elsewhere that the school that ED-accepts you will notify other schools that you applied to. Your other schools will notify you something along the lines of:

"We have received notification that you've been accepted to ___ via early decision. We congratulate you on your acceptance and have withdrawn your application from further consideration"

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 04:58:08 PM »
I read elsewhere that the school that ED-accepts you will notify other schools that you applied to. Your other schools will notify you something along the lines of:

"We have received notification that you've been accepted to ___ via early decision. We congratulate you on your acceptance and have withdrawn your application from further consideration"

I haven't ever heard this before, but I'm sure it's possible. 

OP, essentially you're signing a contract with the school saying if they let you in, you will go and will withdraw your applications from all other schools. It's not an ethical pull- it's a binding contract, not just an ethical pull.  I'm 99% sure they can report you to LSAC if you don't comply with the contract, and LSAC can notify all the other schools you apply to.  Read the terms of the ED agreement, they're slightly different for each school (some in fact are called "early action" agreements and are not binding).  You should make sure it's something you want to do before you commit to it.
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

wyatth

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 07:54:49 PM »
Thanks for the reply, both of you.
Not sure where to do this, then. HMM
Not saying I was going to do this for multiple schools, just curious about the process.
Cheers and GL