Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Weird GPA trend, how should I write my addendum?  (Read 575 times)

hopefulsplitter28

• View Profile
Weird GPA trend, how should I write my addendum?
« on: September 29, 2009, 05:40:56 PM »
My LSDAS academic report shows, from year 1 to 4, these GPAs:

2.57, 2.45, 2.21, 3.90 ----> LSDAS cGPA 2.76

Computer Engineering degree at a respectable Canadian University. No failed grades, just unmotivated.

After the initial 3 years, I took a year-long internship at IBM. I came back motivated and did much better in my final year. Also my ex-coworker at IBM will be writing me a decent-ish LOR.

Suggestions?
edit:
1. The high GPA was not because of an easier course load. All semesters were about the same in difficulty.
2. I am going to be aiming for tier 1 schools where I'm below 25th-%ile GPA but above 75th-%ile LSAT. Took the 9-26 LSAT, felt really good about it, expecting 170-173

wyatth

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Weird GPA trend, how should I write my addendum?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 11:53:55 PM »
interesting, we are about the same. I went to UBC, how about you?

My GPA is like: 2.0, 2.5, 2.9, 3.5 = 2.7 or something
I am going to say something similar. Same course load throughout, just unmotivated. Elaborate of course, but what else can you really say that is unique? They will see the trend, and that is the important part. Don't shoot yourself in the foot.

hopefulsplitter28

• View Profile
Re: Weird GPA trend, how should I write my addendum?
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 02:45:02 PM »
Oh cool...I went to UofT. Although I can't really say much about the poor GPAs in the first three years, I want to give them the message that my year-long internship after third year really "changed" me, which led me to do well in the final year.

Did you take the LSAT yet? Are you planning to go to the states or stay in Canada?