Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law School Then Army or Vice Versa?  (Read 6659 times)

foxtrot

• View Profile
    • Email
Law School Then Army or Vice Versa?
« on: September 29, 2009, 03:01:24 PM »
So right now I'm a sophmore at a pretty good college and I definetly want to goto Law School and eventually become a lawyer but I also really have a passion for joining the military specifically the Army. So my question is should I goto Law School first then join the Army or goto the Army first then Law School?

Now please note I do not want to become a JAG or anything like that I'd like to go in probably through OCS and become a real officer you know the ones that get shot at. Also here a couple of questions that would help make the decision easier for me:

For one while money isnt really a big problem would the Army pay off my student loans if I went to Law School first then joined?
Say I get denied from a good Law School would they take a better look at me if I was in the Army?
And how would employers look at me if I went to the military after LS?

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: Law School Then Army or Vice Versa?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 03:38:35 PM »
If you want to do the Army and don't want to do JAG, do it first.

Your legal skills would atrophy if you graduated from law school and didn't practice for 5+ years (or whatever your commitment is). Frankly, you would have a very tough time finding legal employment after doing that.

Army first wouldn't change your law school apps much but wouldn't hurt as a soft factor.

I know Navy has a program that will pay for law school (but you eventually end up as a JAG). Don't know about Army though.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

NYCFed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 04:43:36 PM »
If you want to do the Army and don't want to do JAG, do it first.
This is definitely best.

You may decide to make a career of the military or find something else that interests you while you're serving.  You can even do 20 years, get a pension and then go to law school, but doing law school first won't help you with regular legal employers when your obligation is fulfilled.
Also, I think it's better to save money and earn interest to pay for school than it is to pay someone else interest on a large loan while earning a modest lieutenant's salary.

jollyrog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 10:19:03 PM »
Typically, the military only pays off student loans if you're going into a specialized field. My son has a slot as a Marine Corps pilot when he graduates (December), and they're paying his off once he gets his wings.

Check out the Yellow Ribbon program that's part of the post-9/11 GI Bill. It's an amazing deal-beyond the cash for school (something like 50 large), many states let you pay in-state tuition regardless where you're from, or some privates give automatic schollys. I'm a Navy vet and WISH I had such a good deal, but I got out 17 years ago, so I'm under a different GI Bill. Not to mention, if you're going to be an officer, that is a huge soft on your LS app when you get out. I'd go Army first.

Also, on a side note, you wouldn't necessarily be in a "hot" theater unless you're going to be an infantry, mech or armor designator.

Good luck!

SEB10

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 09:04:49 PM »
I would seriously suggest checking out the ROTC program at your school.  A scholarship person there will be able to answer any of your specific questions in detail. ROTC will pay for under grad and then when you deploy after graduation you will be available for the post 9/11 G.I. bill which would pay for the majority of your graduate school. I am currently an ROTC cadet and will commission in May. I plan on serving in the Army reserves while attending law school the transferring over to an active duty JAG after law school graduation.

jollyrog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 10:34:51 PM »
I would seriously suggest checking out the ROTC program at your school.  A scholarship person there will be able to answer any of your specific questions in detail. ROTC will pay for under grad and then when you deploy after graduation you will be available for the post 9/11 G.I. bill which would pay for the majority of your graduate school. I am currently an ROTC cadet and will commission in May. I plan on serving in the Army reserves while attending law school the transferring over to an active duty JAG after law school graduation.

Concur.

ecwinch

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 11:36:45 PM »
Definitely Army first, then law school. Particularly that you will then have GI Bill benefits.

Same on the ROTC recommendation. Most ROTC programs have a two year program that allows to join your Junior year. It requires you to attend a 4 week summer training program at Ft. Knox, KY. But that summer program also allows you to compete for 2 yr scholarships.

And while you do not have a desire to be a JAG officer, the Army also has the Funded Legal Education Program (FLEP) for active duty officers. Pays all your school costs plus you draw your military salary and benefits.

armyjag

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 01:27:57 AM »
If money isn't an issue right now, honestly I wouldn't bother with ROTC.  You can go through OCS after graduation and you will not have to sacrifice your summers now as well as missing out on the military science classes and the FTXs that always seem to occur when you have something better to do.
Proving there is redemption in this world...

NYCFed

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 07:49:20 AM »
If money isn't an issue right now, honestly I wouldn't bother with ROTC.  You can go through OCS after graduation and you will not have to sacrifice your summers now as well as missing out on the military science classes and the FTXs that always seem to occur when you have something better to do.

Doesn't Army officer MOS selection give preference to academy graduates and then ROTC students over OCS?  If so, taking this path would make it harder to get the job the OP wants.  I would imagine doing four years as a logistics officer when you wanted infantry or intel would be pretty miserable, and worth a few weeks in the summers to possibly avoid.

armyjag

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 10:42:21 AM »
I've heard West Point has 1st pick (fair enough).
I think ROTC branch choice is all based on LDAC, which is at the end of your JR year.  Getting infantry isn't as easy as you think. 
That said, I've had friends get jobbed in both cases.  "Needs of the Army" is the ultimate crap shoot.
Proving there is redemption in this world...