Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Internship during 2L year?  (Read 1267 times)

Homebrew

• View Profile
    • Email
Internship during 2L year?
« on: September 29, 2009, 02:03:05 PM »
I was wondering if it would be worth it to intern as a 2L during the year to beef up my resume.  Basically, I came straight through from college to law school, so my work experience is pretty low.  I'm not on a journal, so I'd kind of like to show that I did something productive with my time.  I'm considering interning part-time with a small firm that does mostly Med Mal and PI.

Would it be worth it?  Or should I just focus on studying and bringing up my GPA, as I'm middle of the class right now?

TheReasonableMan

• View Profile
Re: Internship during 2L year?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 02:14:25 PM »
If your schedule permits, then you should absolutely do it.  As a middle of the pack student, work experience on your resume will be much more valuable in your job search than a boost of a few spots in class rank.  This year will likely be another slug fest for post 2L summer jobs, and some legal experience just might put your resume above some other middling candidate to get an interview.

martincmm

• View Profile
Re: Internship during 2L year?
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 03:03:10 PM »
Absolutely do an an internship during law school if you can.  Clerking for a law firm is an option, too.  You may even get paid a little.  I wrote an article about the reasons why you should do some form of internship.  Good luck...Check out the link...

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1394484/five_benefits_of_an_internship_in_law.html?cat=17