Law School Discussion

to write or not to write?

to write or not to write?
« on: September 25, 2009, 12:22:44 PM »
Hey everyone,
So I have a 3.78 at my degree-granting institution, where I have been for 6 semesters, minus one study abroad semester (where I got all As at another, better ranked university); the problem is that my first year of college at my first school didn't go as well, and my LSDAS GPA is now down to a 3.55.

I know that neither of those GPAs are bad, but I'm applying to a lot of schools that put a lot of weight on GPA and I sort of feel like I should explain. I haven't gotten below a B+ in the last three years. Do you think that writing an addendum could help my chances, or will they adcoms see the progression and my grades and deduce all this without my help?

Re: to write or not to write?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 12:31:05 PM »
You could explain very succinctly, but I don't think that it will help too much in the adcom's decision.

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 12:49:55 PM »
Yeah, I know that its not going to instantly make them look at my GPA as if it were a 3.78 instead of a 3.55, but I was wondering if it could help be a sort of tiebreaker, if my LSAT was in the 50-75th range.

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 01:03:02 PM »
Maybe help you in a tie-breaker, but probably not much else. Sorry I can't be more optimistic. It's all such a numbers game, and even then, it's a crap shoot.

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 02:00:54 PM »
I agree with violaboy, it's not going to hurt anything explaining your situation.

I have an identical situation. Just try not to come off as pretentious by criticizing your 3.55

I am submitting an add wherever allows it.  If you want any advice on writing it, PM me and I'll let you know how I went about it, or anything else I can do to help out.

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 02:04:47 PM »
Yeah, it may just help to explain. I'm not so addendum averse- I wrote an LSAT addendum since my jump was so much. I guess it's good to give a brief explanation, but don't overdo it.

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 02:14:32 PM »
Yeah, I wasn't going to write a page long saga of all my life trials and tribulations. All I wanted to say, basically, is that I had a hard time being far away from my family my first year of school, it affected my grades, I got over it and transferred to a new school and have been consistently getting grades more reflective of my capabilities as a student.

I don't think it will be pretentious...
I'm not saying that a 3.55 is awful, only that I have shown since that point that it is not the limit of my abilities.

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 02:17:50 PM »
Yeah, I wasn't going to write a page long saga of all my life trials and tribulations.

:) :) Yeah, I think you'll be fine. My addendum was only maybe 5 or 6 lines.