Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What's American University like?  (Read 1232 times)

scrobin

• View Profile
    • Email
What's American University like?
« on: September 24, 2009, 05:46:23 PM »
I am a 28 year old sophmore in college, and I'm very interested in American University Law School.  It is my first choice law school that I want to go to.  I am currently majoring in political science.  I am at a community college right now, and I am trying to transfer to Hamline's undergraduate program.  There I am hoping to double major in legal studies and political science, and double minor in women studies and social justice. (a lot of the courses cross over.) 

I want to go into public interest law, doing civil rights and litigation work.  I have dreamed of being a lawyer and running for office since I was fifteen.  I have worked as a political activist, and read about law and politics for fun, ever since. 

At American University, I want to get my L.L.M. in law and goverment, with concentrations in; General Practice, Administrative Law and Regulatory Practice, and Civil and Constitutional Rights. With specializations in general practice, environmental law and policy, health care law and policy, labor and employment law and policy, general civil rights, criminal law, and gender in the law.  I also wanted to get a joint graduate certificate from American University school of public affairs, women and politics institute, in Women, Policy and Political Leadership (WPPL).

I was wondering if someone who goes and/or went to American University Law School, could tell me what the law school is like there, and what advice they might giving me about getting in and about attending their law school.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: What's American University like?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 08:48:40 AM »
In the immediate, make sure your grades are high. Study hard for the LSAT.

A few other comments: Why American? It's not a bad school, but I would worry about the debt you are looking at by going to such an expensive private school if you are public-interest bound. There are cheaper public schools that are just as good, if not better, educationally.

I also question the L.L.M.s. and the joint degree. While those courses are great for your own edification, they will do little to advance even a public interest career and will add further to the debt. Also, you can't possibly specialize in so many different areas of law.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 03:59:59 PM »
First, if you plan on going into some kind of public interest law, minimize your undergrad debt. That means looking at your local public university or finding some way to fund your education with scholarships or grants. Do not think for a second that going to a private liberal arts college or university will somehow increase your chances of getting into any school. Law schools care about GPA and your LSAT score first and foremost.

I would definitely focus on getting good grades. Your major doesn't really matter, just do something you can get high grades in. And prep hard for the LSAT. LSAT scores matter a lot. Take a prep course for it if you can.

American is basically a terrible choice for public interest minded applicants and law students. They have no real LRAP program and the tuition is among the most expensive in the country. I'd suggest taking a hard look at your local in-state law school(s). Do not go to an out of state school with a scholarship banking that you'll be able to keep it all three years. If you have high grades and a high LSAT, apply to top schools with good LRAP programs. Oh yeah, you might want to spend some of your summers or free time doing volunteer work, especially if you can work at a public interest law related job. You might find that this type of work is not for you at all. At the very least, it will show interest and possibly commitment when you apply for jobs and internships in law school.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 02:11:38 PM »
American seems well stocked with strivers that want the DC life, but couldn't quite get to G-Town.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 01:02:38 PM »
American seems well stocked with strivers that want the DC life, but couldn't quite get to G-Town.

Or GW, or Mason even on some levels.

Nonetheless:

"At American University, I want to get my L.L.M. in law and goverment, with concentrations in; General Practice, Administrative Law and Regulatory Practice, and Civil and Constitutional Rights. With specializations in general practice, environmental law and policy, health care law and policy, labor and employment law and policy, general civil rights, criminal law, and gender in the law.  I also wanted to get a joint graduate certificate from American University school of public affairs, women and politics institute, in Women, Policy and Political Leadership (WPPL)."

This post is obviously a flame and it cracks me up that this many people have seriously responded.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 01:50:37 PM »

This post is obviously a flame and it cracks me up that this many people have seriously responded.

Sometimes I think these types of posts must be flames, but then I meet certain people in real life and reconsider.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

jollyrog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 10:00:52 PM »

Sometimes I think these types of posts must be flames, but then I meet certain people in real life and reconsider.

LMAO. Yep, even as a 0L, some of the "prelaw" kids (yes, outing myself as a NT) I've met make me wonder if they have a clue in the world what they're getting themselves into.