Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Job Search Dilemma  (Read 1837 times)

Dawnilla

• View Profile
Job Search Dilemma
« on: September 24, 2009, 01:12:10 AM »
I took the July Bar Exam and I am in one of the states that does not release scores until end of October.  I have been applying for law jobs but so far I have not found anything concrete. 

Today, I was talking to a federal judge and the judge offered to let me volunteer to do legal research for him.  I know getting experience doing legal research for a federal district court would look great on my resume but it would be for NO PAY!  Plus, it does not seem likely that it would turn into a paying gig because of how the federal clerk positions work. 

My fear is that once I say yes to volunteering, then another job will come up the next week.  I donít want to start something and then a week or two later have to quit if I get a paying job (which I really need to pay my bills). 

Is it worth it to take the volunteering position now, or should I wait it out a few more weeks and hope one of job applications works out?

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Job Search Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 01:42:19 AM »
Volunteer on the condition that you can and will leave when you find a paying job.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 10:30:30 AM »
Not to mention, what will you put on your resume?  Volunteer research for federal judge?  It will be obvious you weren't a clerk and I don't see it doing anything for your resume. 

You doing free labor is a favor for the judge, not the other way around....

M_Cool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 12:40:26 PM »
It's better than a continued resume gap.  If you don't get anything in some months at least you can put down that you interned for a judge during your unemployment to stay on top of your legal skills.  And who knows, you might be able to network something out of it. 

Talk Is Cheap

• Sr. Citizen
  • F*** the man, I'm the man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 05:46:39 PM »
Not to mention, what will you put on your resume?  Volunteer research for federal judge?  It will be obvious you weren't a clerk and I don't see it doing anything for your resume. 

This is true. I now a guy who graduated and is still doing free volunteer work for a local judge as his only legal work. It is better than nothing, but at the same time I don't think I would do it if I were this guy. There's got to be something, SOMEWHERE in the lower 48 states that pays money.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 02:39:02 PM »

This is true. I now a guy who graduated and is still doing free volunteer work for a local judge as his only legal work. It is better than nothing, but at the same time I don't think I would do it if I were this guy. There's got to be something, SOMEWHERE in the lower 48 states that pays money.

I've been saying this for some time. I feel for everyone that got the JD, passed the bar, and can't find a job, but I feel like there has to be some job somewhere in America that people in such a position could find that would be acceptable. Even if it's not a legal job, there has to be something.

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 04:26:08 PM »

I've been saying this for some time. I feel for everyone that got the JD, passed the bar, and can't find a job, but I feel like there has to be some job somewhere in America that people in such a position could find that would be acceptable. Even if it's not a legal job, there has to be something.

Finding a job and finding a job that makes it worth your time, effort, and money spent on the JD are two totally different things. 

I currently have a nice job that pays rather well.  If I would have graduated law school with something other than Biglaw I would have been pissed.

I think it's important to know what you are looking to accomplish following law school, then to make your decisions of whether and where to attend.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 04:55:22 PM »

Finding a job and finding a job that makes it worth your time, effort, and money spent on the JD are two totally different things. 

I currently have a nice job that pays rather well.  If I would have graduated law school with something other than Biglaw I would have been pissed.

I think it's important to know what you are looking to accomplish following law school, then to make your decisions of whether and where to attend.

Straight up. I think that's the big reason people end up unhappy after law school, they come in with the wrong expectations for where their school places. I'm amazed at how 1Ls from FSU think they're going to get international law jobs that start at $140k+ (this year and last). So much is wrong about that assumption.

lawguyFL

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 07:38:11 PM »

[/quote]

Yea I hear ya. I love how all of these job opportunities want entry level associates yet require 3-5 years of experience.
IT seems odd to me that everyone is setting the standard so high. Did everyone else before this time all graduate with all this required experienced? Frankly having to volunteer and work for free when there are bills to be paid is insulting.