Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Absent vs. Cancel Score  (Read 4441 times)

Mason09

• View Profile
Re: Absent vs. Cancel Score
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009, 11:39:53 PM »
Absent = I scheduled something and didn't show up and didn't give notice. Not good. Relatively uncommon.

Cancel = I choked/was sick/something unusual happened and I exercised good judgment. Reasonably common.

But couldn't you be exercising good judgment by being absent? For instance, suppose you have a death in the family, swine flu, etc. Obviously, that's not the case for us but how do they distinguish who exercised good judgment and who didn't among the people that were absent?

!закон и право!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 10:30:45 AM »
Sit the test and cancel.

As a previous poster mentioned, an absence looks like a flake. And unless you can verify that you did indeed have swine flu or a death in the family then there isn't any explaining away an absence.

You can reasonably suggest on an addendum (if you so choose) that you suffered from test anxiety. This is a common problem, believable and not verifiable. I wouldn't mention that you were underprepared.

imperator

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2009, 02:49:59 PM »
Absent = I scheduled something and didn't show up and didn't give notice. Not good. Relatively uncommon.

Cancel = I choked/was sick/something unusual happened and I exercised good judgment. Reasonably common.

No.

Absent = LSAC deadlines are retarded, test-administration policies are draconian relative to other standardized exams (esp. the GRE)

Cancel = LSAC deadlines are retarded, test-administration policies are draconian relative to other standardized exams (esp. the GRE). Oh, and "I screwed up"

Jeffort

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSAT Tutor
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Discussion - Free LSAT Logical Reasoning Question Type Finder Utility
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2009, 05:15:52 AM »

Putting in the effort to show up, supposedly give it a shot and then cancel your score for whatever personal reasons (that you don't have to explain if you don't want to, adcomms really don't care much about ONE cancellation but want explanations about 2+) looks better than flaking out and having a no-show 'absent' on your score report no matter how you look at it.

Adcomms tend to be curious/suspicious about and want a good explanation/excuse when they see an "Ahead of time I registered and paid good $$$ to take the test that influences my future but didn't show up at the location with a few pencils that morning" 'absent' note on a score report. 

Giving it a shot, having a bad day and deciding to cancel is understandable, everyone has bad days.  However, unless you are incapacitated (like being in the hospital) or are otherwise physically incapable of making it to the test center for a verifiable reason (sudden military deployment?), pulling an absent has FLAKE, can't handle the stress, pressure and demands of LS written all over it.   

Mitchell

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2009, 12:51:18 PM »
Holy crap!
Mmmmmmmitchell

Jeffort

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSAT Tutor
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Discussion - Free LSAT Logical Reasoning Question Type Finder Utility
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2009, 09:32:23 PM »
Holy crap!

Yea, after being 'Absent' for a while I'm not canceled, instead I'm home again and back from the DEAD

just some guy

• Sr. Citizen
  • WARNING: May Contain Troll or Flame-like Substance
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2009, 04:41:54 PM »
Holy crap!

Yea, after being 'Absent' for a while I'm not canceled, instead I'm home again and back from the DEAD

Somebody owes me an update.
I have courted the fire for a very long time, and many sparks have flown in the past, but [this post] speaks, finally, the language of the flame itself.
with apologies to Keith Jarret