Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Absent vs. Cancel Score  (Read 4579 times)

Boscat

• I am a ROCK STAR!
    • View Profile
Absent vs. Cancel Score
« on: September 23, 2009, 01:28:46 PM »
I missed the deadline to reschedule the Sept. test (the Labor Day weekend got the better of me :) and have not studied for the exam (hence, the need to reschedule).

My choices, at this point, are to not show up and be considered "absent" or show up, take the test and cancel the score.

Is one a better option over the other?

Thanks!

Boscat

• I am a ROCK STAR!
    • View Profile
Re: Absent vs. Cancel Score
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 02:55:14 PM »
Okay ...  I googled and found this link with a pretty decent explanation
http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2009/05/cancel-postpone-absence-june-2009-lsat.html

If anyone has another opinion, I'd love to hear it!

Thanks!

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 04:49:45 PM »
Canceling is better. Absence makes you look like a flake.

DiggzDE

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 06:39:57 PM »
I must say if you were at the point of labor day weekend and you hadn't even begun studying for the LSAT at least a month prior to that, you shouldn't have planned on taking the LSAT anyways. Which means you should have known at least sometime in August that you weren't ready.

Not to discount what you are asking but everyone I know, including people on here, have recommended at least 6 weeks of studying for the LSATs, if not much much more.

Can I ask what made you think, in mid August, that you still could get ready in time? Had you studied before? Or were you not sure what the LSAT entailed?

Boscat

• I am a ROCK STAR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 06:55:51 PM »
I knew some time ago that I wouldn't be ready in Sept. -- the deadline just slipped my mind. And I didn't realize that the deadlines had been moved up. It's completely my fault. I'm just trying to determine the lesser of two evils.

DiggzDE

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 07:53:37 PM »
I knew some time ago that I wouldn't be ready in Sept. -- the deadline just slipped my mind. And I didn't realize that the deadlines had been moved up. It's completely my fault. I'm just trying to determine the lesser of two evils.

I would show up and cancel after taking the test, although you could try playing off an absence as outside circumstances you couldn't control. But that would be lying :D

Honestly, if you had something seriously preventing you from taking it, and you could honestly explain why to the schools you are applying for, then that is great. But if it is only because you haven't studied yet, then I recommend you take the test and cancel it. Showing up and canceling right away seems pointless because you should at least see what it would be like. And a cancel will show up just as a cancel. I don't think there is any difference between canceling right away and canceling after the test. I may be incorrect on this.

Good luck though. If it had been me, and I had known by August that I wouldn't be able to take it, I would have postponed as soon as possible. I had some doubts going through that month and considered it, but in the end, after Labor Day passed, I knew I was locked in. Just had to keep studying and hope for the best.

Mason09

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 08:42:31 PM »
From what I've heard it's better to be absent because you are never exposed to the test. I was planning on being absent but now I'm having second thoughts. ???

Boscat

• I am a ROCK STAR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 09:31:07 PM »
After reading the advice on the blog (link posted above), I think "absent" may be the way to go -- it doesn't count toward the "three tests in two years" rule. You never know if you might need all three. :) And to take it for the sake of "experiencing" the test doesn't seem like the best reason to me. You can take free practice tests administered  by the companies that offer courses and they are (somewhat) proctored.

violaboy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 09:48:54 PM »
The real thing is a totally different ballgame though. And honestly, do you think that you'll take it more than two more times after this one?

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 09:53:23 PM »
Absent = I scheduled something and didn't show up and didn't give notice. Not good. Relatively uncommon.

Cancel = I choked/was sick/something unusual happened and I exercised good judgment. Reasonably common.