Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What's your plan if you don't do well your first year?  (Read 5124 times)

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
What's your plan if you don't do well your first year?
« on: September 23, 2009, 01:14:58 PM »
Before law school, I thought I would be kicking butt at it.  But I essentially got straight Bs my first semester, and one C my second.  That put me at about the 50th percentile. 

Boy, I was totally unprepared for that reality. Luckily, I had planned to do public interest work anyway, but if my heart was set on a six-figure salary, I would have been royally SCREWED.

I decided to stick it out and my grades steadily improved, but I was lucky.

What will you do if you are in the bottom half of the class after your first year of law school?

It's a good idea to think about this now, before it actually happens to you!

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
Re: What's your plan if you don't do well your first year?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 12:50:33 PM »
It worries me that 48 people viewed this thread, and no one has responded.  Please please take my advice and think about this in advance!

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 01:39:38 PM »
You asked people to "think about it."  Thinking =/= posting.  What did you expect people to do?
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

Talk Is Cheap

• Sr. Citizen
  • F*** the man, I'm the man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 06:05:26 PM »
OP = neurotic.

Anyway, like you I had big dreams when I first hit the law school shores. I think most students do. I did better than you, but ITE even the traditional "top 25%" requirement is going to get you much, much less. So we're essentially in the same boat.

Life isn't so bad, though...we'll make less money, and (perhaps) we will be a bit less stressed. I'm not going to kill myself if I only end up making, say, 45k a year. Not going to happen at that salary. 

Stop bringing these doom-and-gloom thunderclouds over the heads of everyone else. We're all upset about the economy and our own lack of a 4.0 GPA. That's life. Were I in the bottom half of my class, I would probably be more despondent, but my realistic options would be to stick it out, try to improve, or drop out and work at Starbuck's or something. I think most people who end up in the bottom 50% will stick around, anyway. Part of it is inertia, part of it is lack of a better option. Even at 45k a year, after taxes and after a massive monthly loan payment, you're still doing better than a lot of my 20-something friends who went to college, graduated in a recession, and only found bad jobs.

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 11:53:45 PM »
I don't think that I am neurotic at all.  I just am trying to get away from the constant discussions about huge salaries and big law firms around here.  For most people, it is unrealistic.  I think that the more visible (BIGLAW) portion of the profession gets too much attention, and many posts here are indicative of that. 

If more law schools/pre-law advisors spoke realistically to students about career potential (and earning potential) more people who were going to law school because they aren't sure what else to do with that fabulous liberal arts degree would consider other options more seriously.

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 11:04:28 AM »
I don't think that I am neurotic at all.  I just am trying to get away from the constant discussions about huge salaries and big law firms around here.  For most people, it is unrealistic.  I think that the more visible (BIGLAW) portion of the profession gets too much attention, and many posts here are indicative of that. 

If more law schools/pre-law advisors spoke realistically to students about career potential (and earning potential) more people who were going to law school because they aren't sure what else to do with that fabulous liberal arts degree would consider other options more seriously.

This is a valid point.  A post with substantive information to support your points may have inspired more discussion than a post asking people to think about something that you admit people are both in denial about and lack information to understand.
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

DannyJames

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 07:32:48 PM »
I will drop out, happy?
Just because you're breathing doesn't mean you're alive

shayna

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 12:08:42 PM »
This post is not encouraging to many people entering law school.  I think that is a negative thing to think about.  I, unlike many others, am not going to law school to make a lot of money, so being in the 50th percentile will not destroy me.  If I honestly give it my all and wind up with that percentile, so be it!  I will be happy that I made through the 1st year.  I think that is the best attitude to have, though I will do everything in my power to do well.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 01:27:34 PM »
yeah sounds like quitter talk, so it should suit you fine.

I've been externing for awhile now and everytime I talk to other firms about recruiting they admitt that grades only matter for the first job, then after that its all performance based. They literally will turn someone away if they walk into the interview talking about what T their school was and their GPA. The idea is "who gives a flyingfuck, you've been practicing what are you cold cut results from that? You could be an online grad was bounced on and off of academic probation his whole time in school if you take cases that cowards wont take and get a few solid wins, you'll end up with more pay at the next gig then they will.

I will drop out, happy?

Haynes7

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 01:24:08 AM »
I don't think this is a "negative" thing to ask.  She is just asking us to consider the possibility that we won't all be brilliant at at law school, which you have to admit, is true. 

If I am literally in the very bottom of my class then I plan to cut my losses and drop out.  On the other hand, I don't plan to be too hard on myself if I am not in the tippy top of the class.  I do think it is important to manage your expectations.