Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UVA or Georgetown  (Read 585 times)

lawstud80

• View Profile
UVA or Georgetown
« on: September 22, 2009, 10:58:01 PM »
I'm only going to apply to these two schools this fall. If I don't get into either, I'll apply to more next fall.  If you were admitted to both, which would you choose and why?

Background: I have a fairly low gpa (above 3) from an Ivy in hard majors and a high lsat (175+). I have to be honest, I really want to go to HLS, but my gpa is obviously too low so I'm not even going to bother applying.  Does anyone know people who went to UVA/Gtown who transferred to HLS and can provide some stats?  At which school do you think it is least difficult to get high grades, UVA or Gtown? I realize it is really difficult to transfer to HLS, but I'm curious anyway.

I know it's premature to ask before you get in, but I think with my background I have a fairly good chance at UVA and Gtown, and I'm just eager to get some input.

Thanks.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: UVA or Georgetown
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 10:22:30 AM »
It's going to be hard to find stats because most people who do well enough 1L year to transfer to Harvard don't feel the need to, but I imagine it would take top 10% grades from either.

As to which you want to choose, it comes down to personal preferences. Do you want a big city or a college town? Are you looking for large law firms or government positions?
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

violaboy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: UVA or Georgetown
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 10:01:55 AM »
Like nealric said, it just depends on what you want. If you stay at either (assuming you either don't transfer or aren't able to), you'd probably be going into the same DC market.