Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Last minute problem with arguments.  (Read 506 times)

JediJoe22

Last minute problem with arguments.
« on: September 22, 2009, 06:52:12 PM »
While taking my practice tests, I ALWAYS perform worse during my second arguments section. When I take them independently, I usually score 2-4 questions wrong. While taking a full exam, I score 2-4 wrong on the first section, and 6-8 on the second. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any advice?

Lekowitz

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Last minute problem with arguments.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 01:45:33 AM »
I have seen a similar pattern; I have scored better on the first of 2 LR sections and seen a decline on the second. I think it may be that one LR section is actually harder than the other, and it often is the second one. The other possibility is that the second section is not necessarily harder, but it happens to have more of the question types that I find difficult. Of course mental fatigue could be a factor.

The only advice I can give is to just look at the question types you are missing and see if there is a pattern, then focus on strengthening your skills with those question types. Also, go over wrong answers as well as correct answers to see exactly why you're missing certain questions. Finally--I know this may seem impossible--but recognize that you have been weaker on that section in the past and try to focus and concentrate more on not making mental errors in that section.

I know, not much help, but I tried.

Good Luck

French Fry

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 05:34:24 PM »
The one's I keep having a tough time with are the arguments that ask for a parallel argument... Or one's that ask for similar reasoning/flaw in reasoning...Any advice?

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 05:38:22 PM »
Do you know what the logical flaws are?  Figure it out as you read the stem, and as you go through the answer choices figure out what each of those flaws are.  If it's not the same, cross it out.  You should be left with one correct answer, obviously.  There's not really a short cut for those questions, you just have to be able to figure out what exactly the flaw is and be focused on looking for exactly that one in the answer choices.
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.