Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hotel for NY Bar  (Read 4416 times)

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Hotel for NY Bar
« on: September 22, 2009, 10:20:41 AM »
I've been told by those at the firm I worked at that an out-of-state resident should book a hotel room for the NY bar asap as they fill up quickly.  Where are my supposed to book the hotel?

Also, how on earth do I do that without bar exam dates?

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Hotel for NY Bar
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 05:10:46 PM »
I've been told by those at the firm I worked at that an out-of-state resident should book a hotel room for the NY bar asap as they fill up quickly.  Where are my supposed to book the hotel?

Also, how on earth do I do that without bar exam dates?

You won't know your test site for certain until the bar gets closer, but what many people do is go ahead and book a hotel room in Albany if they are out-of-state, or book a hotel room in the City somewhere near the Javits if they are in-state.  If you wait until the NY Bar examiners give you a definite test site (which can come as late as June) then you will most certainly find that all the rooms are gone.

So go ahead and book now. You're basically playing the odds that you will likely test at the Javits (if in-state) although you may end up at one of the other sites in Manhattan.  If out-of-state you are guaranteed to test in Albany UNLESS you win the laptop lottery, in which case you will have a choice of taking in Javits or a few other locations.

Good luck with that *&^%.  Gives me the creeps just thinking about it again.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 07:53:03 PM »
Wow- didn't realize it was that ridiculous

What are the chances of winning the laptop lottery?

What do people do who can't find hotel rooms?
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 02:16:51 PM »
Wow- didn't realize it was that ridiculous

What are the chances of winning the laptop lottery?

What do people do who can't find hotel rooms?

Sorry for the late response.  Practice has been kicking my ass lately.

The chances of winning the laptop lottery are actually pretty good.  They say that everybody who wants to take it by laptop usually ends up getting it.

As for people who can't find hotel rooms, they walk the earth endlessly like kung-fu.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 09:13:55 AM »
From what I've heard most book 2 rooms.  One in NYC, one in Albany, and then just cancel whichever one they don't use.

chevelle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 11:59:01 AM »
I think it depends on where your out-of-state residence is - I know people who were out-of-state who wound up in Buffalo in July. Also, I'm pretty sure there were numerous testing sites all over Albany. So I am not sure how you could book a hotel room so far in advance for Albany.

Someone referred to other testing sites in Manhattan besides Javits. I don't know about that...Pace University was used as a testing center but it is for people who live in/near White Plains.

I took it at Javits in July (I live in-state though). I booked a room at the New Yorker Hotel in early June. It was a small room and the hotel was filled with other bar exam takers, but it's real close to Javits.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 12:44:11 PM »
As for people who can't find hotel rooms, they walk the earth endlessly like kung-fu.

Perhaps I will pace back and forth in front of the testing center all night while manically reciting the FRCP in reverse alphabetical order.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

Bezerkley

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 06:54:14 PM »
If you live in an out of state place like Jersey City or Hoboken do you still have the same near guarantee of getting Albany just like if you live in California or do they account for the fact that you are right across the river?

chevelle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 10:54:38 PM »
If you live in an out of state place like Jersey City or Hoboken do you still have the same near guarantee of getting Albany just like if you live in California or do they account for the fact that you are right across the river?

I think so...I'm not sure. But I know people from Pittsburgh who were assigned to Buffalo because it was closer to there than Albany.

PatentlyAbsurd

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 12:12:49 PM »
I am not a NY resident and took the bar in Saratoga on my laptop.  I planned on driving up and down on test day so didn't book a room early.  I changed my mind 3 days before the exam and got a room at the Holiday Inn right down the street from the exam center with no problem.  I wouldn't worry too much about getting a room.  There are plenty of hotels in any of the test locations and the number of people who show up to take the bar cannot possibly fill them up.