Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Looking to get into UBC law  (Read 10334 times)

BD2002

• View Profile
    • Email
Looking to get into UBC law
« on: September 20, 2009, 05:56:25 PM »
I'm new to this forum, but I'm trying to get a leg up on the competition.

Anything that will help me with getting into UBC law?

I know they count 50% GPA and 50% LSAT.

I'm a first year at SFU at the moment, and am going to major in philosophy.

Branden

!закон и право!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Looking to get into UBC law
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 10:35:40 AM »
The UBC admission statistics are as follows:

What is the minimum GPA I require to apply to UBC Law? What about LSAT?

There is no specific minimum LSAT score or GPA that is required to apply. The higher the score, however, the more competitive your application will be.

Last year, successful applicants in the Regular Category had an average CGPA of 82% (approximately 3.8 on a 4.3 scale) with a LSAT score of 164. However, because we weigh the GPA and LSAT evenly there is a range including an LSAT score of 165 and a CGPA of 78% and an LSAT score of 155, but with a CGPA of 86%. The lowest competitive GPA would be 68% together with an LSAT in the 99 th percentile. Please note this applies to the Regular Category only.

You may also wish to research what self-proclaimed "strengths" that the UBC Law Faculty touts. Craft your Personal Statement to congrue with these strenghts.

UBC doesn't typically require references for "Regular" category applicants, and they make it abundantly clear that they will not read them if they are received.

As for gaining a "leg up" as you put it. There really isn't any way. Simply focus on getting the best GPA possible and score well on the LSAT.

All the best.

BD2002

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 10:44:05 AM »
Well I was going to attempt to get references, but if they do not require or even consider them, I may focus less on that aspect.

Thank you.

!закон и право!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 10:47:32 AM »
Well I was going to attempt to get references, but if they do not require or even consider them, I may focus less on that aspect.

Thank you.

For those school that do require them, references don't matter particularily much anyway. They tend to make the case for borderline applicants.

An applicant with strong numbers (GPA and LSAT) will get into a Canadian law school. It's no mistake that UofT also doesn't consider reference letters.

Just don't make any painfully destructive grammatical/typographical errors on your Personal Statement and you're golden.

BD2002

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 10:58:50 AM »
A personal statement is basically a "why I should be accepted into law school" essay?

!закон и право!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 11:04:56 AM »
A personal statement is basically a "why I should be accepted into law school" essay?

Two major questions you should answer are:

1. "Why you are interested in law school?"
2. "What do you intend to do with your law degree, if it is conferred to you?"

Each of these questions should be substantiated by your experiences, interests and demonstrated abilities (not necessarily in the form of LSAT/GPA, this could include ECs, etc).

The personal statement is essentially an argument for why a law school should accept you. Try to make it interesting, and well, "personal" though. Dryly written personal statements are almost always overlooked or skimmed.

fallygotham

• All is well
    • MSN Messenger - fallygotham@ymail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - fallygotham
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - fallygotham
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 06:25:50 AM »
hey guyes what is UBC laws

coralsands

• Harvey Bay Real Estate
    • View Profile
    • Coral Sands Toogoom
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 08:25:26 AM »
Branden, Goodluck! Hope you get to UBC Law

Haskel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2010, 10:26:16 AM »
UBC Law is the University of British Columbia, If you don't know that you shouldn't be here, maybe try getting links to your sites in some other place where you will feel more at home!
http://handtrucks2go.com/Hand-Truck/
http://handtrucks2go.com/

CindyWard

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 04:42:16 AM »
UBC offers numerous degrees that will prepare a student for Law school. Most Law schools accept students from a broad range of undergraduate programs, as long as the student has taken the appropriate pre-requisite courses and the LSAT.

To be eligible to apply in the Regular Category students must either:

1. have obtained an undergraduate degree in an approved course of studies from an approved university. Diploma or Certificate programs are ineligible. Approved courses of studies are those leading to standard university degrees;

or

2. have successfully completed the first three years (minimum 90 credits) or more of an approved course of studies leading to an undergraduate degree or completed the equivalent at an approved university. A full compliment of third year level courses must be completed by the end of the Spring Semester.

Applicants completing their third year at the time of the application deadline are eligible under this second option; however, an offer of acceptance will be conditional on the maintenance of the academic average obtained in the first two years of studies. The third year of studies must be completed by the end of the Spring Semester of the year of admission. (Spring Semester runs from January to April.)

Regards,
Atty. Cindy M. Ward