Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Newbie, here!  (Read 900 times)

nygrrrl

• View Profile
Newbie, here!
« on: September 19, 2009, 08:47:49 PM »
Hi, all.  I'm very green at this and looking for any advice. I am a 45 year old mom of 2 little kids, currently in a very successful career in the
entertainment world. In addition, I have 8 years of experience working for my union and negotiating contracts for same... but the reality is, I've been out
of school for almost 25 years. I can't remember what my GPA was (just ordered my transcripts, from school) but think it was about a 3.6. I'm
scoring consistently in the 164 range (+/- 4 pts) and am hoping to attend Fordham's night program (so that I can continue working, at least for
the first year.)
Is this a totally unrealistic expectation? Do any of you have other advice, for me?
Thanks much !

-- I should add that I will not be asking for Financial Aid, and UG was at a Seven Sisters school.

Wow - I'm so surprised. I would have thought SOMEone would have some advice, here! :(

gkm8087

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Newbie, here!
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 10:17:03 AM »
It sounds as if you have a good career.  If you decide that you want to attend law school, I would apply to a law school that is well known, for the courses in entertainment law, so that you can build on your work experience, or schools that have a lot of business law courses, and are strong, in this area.  You may want a JD-MBA program.  Currently, the job market is tight, for lawyers.  Perhaps this is why you do not have many responses, to your inquiry. When applying to law school, if you like entertainment law, I would encourage you to emphasize this, when you apply. I would research the area of "entertainment law/sports law," and try to contact attorneys who work in this arena, to get their advice on admission to law school, and see what guidance they can offer, before applying to law school.  Also, contact professors at law schools, who teach in these subjects, before applying to law school, to ask how it can enhance your career, in the field that you work in.  Do this in advance of taking the LSAT or applying to school, to prepare for admission.  Study and prepare well, for the LSAT.