Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why this board sucks  (Read 1549 times)

USC313

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Why this board sucks
« on: September 19, 2009, 02:40:02 AM »
This board sucks. It's become practically useless as a means of discussing legal problems actually covered in class. A few years about people actually debated legal issues that were read in their casebooks on this board. Now, fifty percent of posters only want to whine about OCI and how they didn't get a selection, how they hope to one day practice in "big law", how they are already practicing in "big law" and are 'taking questions', or how they were recently laid off from 'big law' and making crap money doing doc review on a contract team. There were hundreds or responses to the one guy who got a job at a 'big law' firm and was fielding questions. It made me want to puke at all the people acting as if he was some God and he their sheep. Get a life.

Oh, and to any future posters that would speculate otherwise, I did get selections from OCI & I might try for a job at a big law firm. I'm keeping my options open.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: Why this board sucks
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 11:30:18 AM »
Times have changed and traffic has dropped. No need for vitriol.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 12:51:07 PM »
Times have changed and traffic has dropped. No need for vitriol.
Has the "age" of posters on LSD changed at all?  It just seems like people looking for jobs (2ls/3ls) spend more time talking about the job market.  Discussing hypotheticals or arguing the law on a message board is a waste of time and exercise in futility.

M_Cool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 02:26:05 PM »
It's kind of like around my school I have overheard 1L's heatedly debating among themselves cases they have recently read for torts or whatever.  In a year's time they will rarely be discussing cases they have been assigned (and if they are like me, rarely even be reading them). 

Talk Is Cheap

• Sr. Citizen
  • F*** the man, I'm the man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 07:07:46 PM »
We can discuss cases all day at school with our classmates and professors.

What we cannot do is discuss the job market and firms with a bunch of fellow students who are wet behind the ears and know nothing about the actual practice of law.

hooloovoo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 10:25:37 AM »
This board sucks. It's become practically useless as a means of discussing legal problems actually covered in class. A few years about people actually debated legal issues that were read in their casebooks on this board. Now, fifty percent of posters only want to whine about OCI and how they didn't get a selection, how they hope to one day practice in "big law", how they are already practicing in "big law" and are 'taking questions', or how they were recently laid off from 'big law' and making crap money doing doc review on a contract team. There were hundreds or responses to the one guy who got a job at a 'big law' firm and was fielding questions. It made me want to puke at all the people acting as if he was some God and he their sheep. Get a life.

so the board sucks because people use it for purposes that differ from your own, is that right?

is there a reason why people seeking/providing career advice of all sorts can't coexist with the discussion of legal problems?  is there some kind of limit to the number of threads that can be started on this board?

if anything, the problem is that there just isn't enough posting of any kind on this board anymore.  but people coming to ask questions about career stuff might very well stick around for discussion of legal issues as well.  think about the site as a department store; things that get people in the door are good things, whether or not you're interested in them or not.