Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is UVA worth it w/ 150k debt?  (Read 3017 times)

malwal

• View Profile
Is UVA worth it w/ 150k debt?
« on: September 18, 2009, 07:10:00 PM »
I just got accepted with no money (in-state tuition). Its the best school i applied to. I'm very averse to debt. But I keep telling myself its UVA!! Plus,..I hate my current profession,..finance. Its not interesting and i'm not terribly good at it. But,...atleast i don't have 150k debt. I also don't want to be miserable in corporate law. Although my jobs suck anyway and i've been hoping jobs the past 3 years with no upward moves.

I'm really interested in federal government work, international issues,..that sort of thing. But with that debt its not really realistic. Unless there are fed agencies willing to pay off federal loans.

zips12

• View Profile
Re: Is UVA worth it w/ 150k debt?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 08:35:54 PM »
It is UVA and beautiful Charlottesville. As far as it's reputation goes, it should greatly help you in finding a good when you graduate. UVA does have a loan forgiveness program if you're interested in public interest work. For some reason the website is not loading for me so I can't give specifics but just do a search for UVA law loan forgiveness and you should find it. The other option is the College Cost Reduction & Access Act Public Service Loan Forgiveness which Pres. Bush signed right before leaving office. This is the option I'm looking at. I'm facing about 130k in loans from a much lower ranked school so I realize this is going to be a hefty burden but I'm not worrying as much after learning about this. It depends if you're willing to give 10 years to public work however. For me, I'll be 26 when I gradute so putting in 10 years still gives me plenty of time to do something else if I want to afterwards.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 07:30:40 AM »
I just got accepted with no money (in-state tuition). Its the best school i applied to. I'm very averse to debt. But I keep telling myself its UVA!! Plus,..I hate my current profession,..finance. Its not interesting and i'm not terribly good at it. But,...atleast i don't have 150k debt. I also don't want to be miserable in corporate law. Although my jobs suck anyway and i've been hoping jobs the past 3 years with no upward moves.

I'm really interested in federal government work, international issues,..that sort of thing. But with that debt its not really realistic. Unless there are fed agencies willing to pay off federal loans.

Did you get money from any of the other t14?

malwal

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 03:32:23 PM »

Did you get money from any of the other t14?

Well thats the thing,..I screwed up in that I applied ED to UVA without thinking of the fin. aid consequences or the fact I would have to withdraw my other apps. I didn't think I had much of a chance at UVA.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 07:14:54 PM »
Well then the question is moot unless you want to wait a year.  Might be worth thinking about.

Kohinoor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 09:25:43 AM »

I'm having a rather nice time at UVA. Your dilemma isn't quite right though. You'd be fronting your cost of living expenses anywhere, so UVA is only costing you around 90k compared to a school that would offer you a full ride. Now, if you were debating whether to attend LS at all, the 150k would be the correct figure to worry about.

saks5th

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 09:54:37 PM »
i applied to UVA, not ED though. Can you plzzz tell me what your numbers are/were