Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: bad 1L grades-drop out and retake lsat to go to better school?  (Read 12777 times)

jdstandsforjokedegree

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: bad 1L grades-drop out and retake lsat to go to better school?
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 10:26:35 PM »
i'm paying out of state tuition, though and Mason's OCI sucks balls compared to Georgetown's and GW's--is there nothing I can do to transfer up or am I stuck (i will drop out and retake the lsat if that is what it takes)?

Everyone's OCI sucks balls right now. Even at GULC, your Biglaw prospects would be slim with median grades barring a major uptick. With median grades at a respectible school, I certainly wouldn't drop out unless you just decided law is not for you. You may not make 6 figures for a while, but that doesn't mean your career is sunk. Get going on the networking though- ABA functions, inns of the court, etc.

I go to George Mason, though.  Median there is a career death sentence.

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 10:55:48 AM »
While you may struggle to get a biglaw job, you will still have a law degree at a cheap cost (assuming you are a VA resident).

Stuck

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2009, 03:53:40 AM »
you can't retake the LSAT after you have 1L grades - you have to apply to other schools as a transfer per ABA rules.

if you haven't finished your first semester, you still have that option to drop out and start all over, however. there are some rules around that that I'm a little confused on (one school told me you had to wait 3 years or you WOULD have to apply as a transfer).

consider talking to your advisor about your options.

I'm a first semester 1L that hates the school I'm at and can't stand the thought of having to wait to transfer (and given how miserable I am, my grades will inevitably be too poor).  There is a school I'd like to go to with a January intake.  If I withdraw from school before the semester's over, could I apply to the other school? 

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2009, 09:17:03 AM »
Theoretically, yes you could apply.  However, the reality is no school is going to take a first semester drop-out....

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2009, 11:04:05 PM »
Theoretically, yes you could apply.  However, the reality is no school is going to take a first semester drop-out....

This is not correct.

A first semester drop out can get into another school, but you're probably going to have some explaining and reassuring to do.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

elle-y

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2009, 12:02:43 AM »

This is not correct.

A first semester drop out can get into another school, but you're probably going to have some explaining and reassuring to do.

TITCR, and to add, it seems to be a relatively common occurrence. I'm in that boat (with a long gap of several years between schools) and my original school and schools i'm applying to have assured me of the process and my options.

No one has even hinted at advising that it is a waste of my time to consider.
3.1 / 156

Stuck

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2009, 12:12:35 AM »

This is not correct.

TITCR, and to add, it seems to be a relatively common occurrence. I'm in that boat (with a long gap of several years between schools) and my original school and schools i'm applying to have assured me of the process and my options.

Several years and several months is a bit different.

Obligatory immoral question:  If I withdraw without ever having had any grades recorded, and if I don't mention that I'd ever attended another school before, how would the prospective school know?  Do schools report matriculations to LSAC? 

You'd get caught by the Bar's background check, but would LSAC know as well? 

elle-y

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2009, 12:18:00 AM »

Obligatory immoral question:  If I withdraw without ever having had any grades recorded, and if I don't mention that I'd ever attended another school before, how would the prospective school know?  Do schools report matriculations to LSAC? 

So I was only at my school for 2 weeks, if that long - they give my transcript to LSAC a few weeks later (which I didn't know until recently, but it was submitted right after I dropped out.) I don't know what it says, I didn't have any grades, but I'm sure its "withdrew". I called the school recently and they said they'd be happy to confirm I was in good standing to the schools I apply to - MAKE SURE you check this.

But yes, otherwise you'd be denied admission to your state's Bar.
3.1 / 156

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2009, 01:36:55 AM »

This is not correct.

Several years and several months is a bit different.

I know of at least one person that dropped out of FSU like 2 weeks into 1L last year and is a 1L at a slightly higher ranked school in another state this year.

LSAC knows.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2009, 09:11:55 AM »

This is not correct.

Maybe some second rate law school will take a drop-out but nowhere worth going.  Reputable law schools have drop out rates of 1-2% and they aren't going to take a risk on a student that left months into their first semester.