Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: bad 1L grades-drop out and retake lsat to go to better school?  (Read 12099 times)

jdstandsforjokedegree

• View Profile
    • Email
bad 1L grades-drop out and retake lsat to go to better school?
« on: September 17, 2009, 10:28:14 PM »
didn't do so well during 1L-can I drop out and retake the lsat to try to get into a better school?  will the 1L grades haunt me?

elle-y

• View Profile
Re: bad 1L grades-drop out and retake lsat to go to better school?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 12:06:46 AM »
you can't retake the LSAT after you have 1L grades - you have to apply to other schools as a transfer per ABA rules.

if you haven't finished your first semester, you still have that option to drop out and start all over, however. there are some rules around that that I'm a little confused on (one school told me you had to wait 3 years or you WOULD have to apply as a transfer).

consider talking to your advisor about your options.

3.1 / 156

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 01:12:11 PM »
You're probably hosed.

How bad did you do and where do you go? "Bad" grades are, in large part, relative to these two questions.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

jdstandsforjokedegree

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 09:56:22 PM »
go to Mason-right around median there (want to transfer to GW or Gtown and am willing to drop out and just retake the lsat)

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 10:39:27 PM »
go to Mason-right around median there (want to transfer to GW or Gtown and am willing to drop out and just retake the lsat)

What are you freaking out about then? You're fine. You're probably screwed on big law and prestigious clerkships, but so what? Enjoy in-state tuition and mid law or some decent government job. You'll still lead a very balla lifestyle by the standards of 99% of the planet's population. Roll with it.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

jdstandsforjokedegree

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 11:21:04 PM »
i'm paying out of state tuition, though and Mason's OCI sucks balls compared to Georgetown's and GW's--is there nothing I can do to transfer up or am I stuck (i will drop out and retake the lsat if that is what it takes)?

elle-y

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 01:07:24 AM »
nope. once you've got grades they are yours and yours to keep. you don't get to start over. that would be sweet if you could....

that said, I've heard stories of 1L's getting the chance to repeat their 1L year at the SAME SCHOOL. but that's something you need to talk to your school about. and even if you can do that, I seriously doubt another school would accept you as a transfer once you've repeated.
3.1 / 156

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 01:12:11 PM »
didn't do so well during 1L-can I drop out and retake the lsat to try to get into a better school?  will the 1L grades haunt me?

You just need to suck it up and continue, at least if you really want to be a lawyer.  Just network, network, network, and try to do clinics and externships to get as much experience as you can, and you'll find some job.  It won't be BIGLAW, but midlaw isn't so bad.

And I hate to say it, but I hope more people over on the pre-law board see this post.  This is an unfortunate example of why 0Ls should NEVER choose a law school that they wouldn't be 100% happy attending because transferring is never a sure thing.

xxspykex

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 11:19:43 PM »
I just want to add to what has been said that OP has no midlaw possibility (at least not for class of 2011). I mean any employer 50+ is getting hit hard with people that are going t14s with decent grades, who didn't get anything in biglaw this year (I mean roughly 66-75% of schools outside of HYS ended up empty handed from OCI and even around 1/2 of harvard did badly this year). Public interest and government are out as well because those jobs have been cut back drastically and all these people at top schools that didn't end up at biglaw are shooting for midlaw, gvt, or PI. Small law firms doing something like personal injury work is still a possibility though.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 12:59:52 PM »
i'm paying out of state tuition, though and Mason's OCI sucks balls compared to Georgetown's and GW's--is there nothing I can do to transfer up or am I stuck (i will drop out and retake the lsat if that is what it takes)?

Everyone's OCI sucks balls right now. Even at GULC, your Biglaw prospects would be slim with median grades barring a major uptick. With median grades at a respectible school, I certainly wouldn't drop out unless you just decided law is not for you. You may not make 6 figures for a while, but that doesn't mean your career is sunk. Get going on the networking though- ABA functions, inns of the court, etc.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?