Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: bad 1L grades-drop out and retake lsat to go to better school?  (Read 12937 times)

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: bad 1L grades-drop out and retake lsat to go to better school?
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2009, 03:49:22 PM »
Theoretically, yes you could apply.  However, the reality is no school is going to take a first semester drop-out....

This is not correct.

A first semester drop out can get into another school, but you're probably going to have some explaining and reassuring to do.

Maybe some second rate law school will take a drop-out but nowhere worth going.  Reputable law schools have drop out rates of 1-2% and they aren't going to take a risk on a student that left months into their first semester.

Patently incorrect.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2009, 04:02:17 PM »
Prove me wrong?  Some low ranked tier 1 is not a good school, so before you go shooting off somewhere ranked like 43, don't waste your time.

elle-y

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2009, 04:33:19 PM »
Prove me wrong?  Some low ranked tier 1 is not a good school, so before you go shooting off somewhere ranked like 43, don't waste your time.

I don't really know what your argument is. First you say a school won't take a former drop out, now you're saying you shouldn't go to school with a high attrition rate. How are those related again....?
3.1 / 156

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2009, 04:40:21 PM »

I don't really know what your argument is. First you say a school won't take a former drop out, now you're saying you shouldn't go to school with a high attrition rate. How are those related again....?

I said no school worth going to will take a drop out.  Schools with high attrition rates are generally TTT.

Take Florida State for example where I believe Ninja goes..... http://abovethelaw.com/2009/04/whats_up_with_the_flori-duh_fe.php

elle-y

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2009, 04:58:28 PM »
2 things:

"worth" is a value dependent on the applicant not only their independent aspirations but on their regional needs

how the heck do you know what a school will or won't do?

edited to add: attrition rates are indicative of the school they drop out came from, not the new school. unrelated.
3.1 / 156

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2009, 05:06:30 PM »

I said no school worth going to will take a drop out.  Schools with high attrition rates are generally TTT.

Take Florida State for example where I believe Ninja goes..... http://abovethelaw.com/2009/04/whats_up_with_the_flori-duh_fe.php

http://www.floridabarexam.org/public/main.nsf/ES0909.PDF/

The Feb exam was an outlier.

So what makes a school worth going to? Attrition rates in the low single digits, bar passage rates around 90%, employment rate about the same, dominant in a state or regional market, those not good enough?

Didn't you go to GW?

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2009, 10:18:06 AM »
I'd say national presence, rank, and job finding ability.  Sure, FSU may do well with it's top students, but if you are at the median you aren't exactly pulling market rate.  Not to mention outside of Florida you aren't even getting interviews.

Yeah, GW.  What are you going to bash it ha ha?

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2009, 06:37:52 PM »
I'd say national presence, rank, and job finding ability.  Sure, FSU may do well with it's top students, but if you are at the median you aren't exactly pulling market rate.  Not to mention outside of Florida you aren't even getting interviews.

Yeah, GW.  What are you going to bash it ha ha?

Just inquiring. Making sure this wasn't some sort of HYS nonsense.

Who needs to make market when in-state tuition is like $11k? Midlaw or government serve most state school grads just fine.

Agree that national presence and all it entails is a big deal, but I wouldn't overstate its value in terms of what makes for a good school. Public schools are generally made up of people that are from the state or want to move to the state, and that are going to self-select to stay in the state without some compelling reason to go elsewhere. In the case of FSU, more legwork might be required, but you can find a job outside of Florida and Georgia if you look. Even crap private schools can easily place in 20+ states.

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2009, 10:38:06 PM »
What crap private schools place in 20 plus states?  That's just wrong.  Regional schools are just that, regional.  Which is all well and good, but law school is expensive.  To each their own, but it's a fact that a lot of students going to lower ranked schools regret their decision down the road.

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2009, 01:08:41 PM »
What [low-ranked] private schools place in 20 plus states?  That's just wrong.  Regional schools are just that, regional.  Which is all well and good, but law school is expensive.  To each their own, but it's a fact that a lot of students going to lower ranked schools regret their decision down the road.

E.g.

Cooley - 42.  http://officialguide.lsac.org/SearchResults/SchoolPage_PDFs/ABA_LawSchoolData/ABA1796.pdf
Ave Maria - 24.  http://officialguide.lsac.org/SearchResults/SchoolPage_PDFs/ABA_LawSchoolData/ABA1801.pdf
Catholic - 20.  http://officialguide.lsac.org/SearchResults/SchoolPage_PDFs/ABA_LawSchoolData/ABA5104.pdf
Drake - 23.  http://officialguide.lsac.org/SearchResults/SchoolPage_PDFs/ABA_LawSchoolData/ABA6168.pdf