Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What motivates you?  (Read 1453 times)

Lekowitz

• View Profile
    • Email
What motivates you?
« on: September 17, 2009, 02:31:07 AM »
This is just a random post to take a break from studying so I don't burn myself out.

Anyone have anything particular you do to keep you motivated to study when you're just tired of doing it. Here's what I've been doing:

I go to Oakley.com and build a pair of custom sunglasses that I will buy myself if I reach my target score on the LSAT. I'm usually a tight wad so $155 glasses is a big present for myself. This is my short term motivation.

I go to Porsche.com and build my dream 911 Turbo, speed yellow, 530hp; this is my dream car once I become a successful lawyer. This is the longer term motivator.

I also framed 3 quotes that I put in front of me wherever I am studying:

"Work in proportion to your aspirations." Peter Boettke

"Determine never to be idle... it is wonderful how much may be done if we are always doing." Thomas Jefferson

"If you are not prepared for discouragements and dissiulusions, if you will not be content with a small result for a big effort, then do not begin. Lie down again and resume the uneasy doze which you call your existence." Arnold Bennett

That last quote really helps me when I question if studying a couple hours a day is really worth the possibility of  2-3 points gained on the LSAT.

Whatever, you do good luck on the LSAT and know you aren't the only one out there feeling the pressure.

!закон и право!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What motivates you?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 09:17:53 AM »
Vigorous masturbation helps. Just sayin'.

Sheshe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 02:19:52 PM »
Well honestly I've gotten in the habit of not allowing myself to eat before I study (Mainly because after I eat dinner I just naturally want to pass out for hours), so my motivation is supper! However I wouldn't really recommend this to anyone. I guess I kind of realized how twisted it sounds after I typed and reread my comment. As for long term motivation......of course its the satisfaction of having a career that I'm passionate about and having financial freedom.
A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine.

~Thomas Jefferson~

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 02:49:33 PM »
Well honestly I've gotten in the habit of not allowing myself to eat before I study (Mainly because after I eat dinner I just naturally want to pass out for hours), so my motivation is supper! However I wouldn't really recommend this to anyone. I guess I kind of realized how twisted it sounds after I typed and reread my comment. As for long term motivation......of course its the satisfaction of having a career that I'm passionate about and having financial freedom burdens caused by insurmountable debt.

fixt

nygrrrl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 08:22:02 PM »
Pathetically, what motivates me is that I have come to love studying for this test.
I know, I know - it's a sickness.

180now

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 10:40:13 PM »
It's becoming more and more a part of my daily routine. Although, sometimes when I get stuck on a problem my motivation drops.
My ego is full of unwarranted assumptions.

elle-y

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 12:01:29 AM »
I go to Oakley.com and build a pair of custom sunglasses that I will buy myself if I reach my target score on the LSAT. I'm usually a tight wad so $155 glasses is a big present for myself. This is my short term motivation.

I'm with ya. I support myself financially but my parents recently offered to take me shopping for some new necessities and some much needed fall clothes. I haven't had any time since then...I work 40 hours a week and study the rest of the time I have (on top of working out and finding a few hours a week for my friends). Now I'm looking forward to the satisfaction of doing well on the test and rewarding myself afterwards and going on a little shopping spree.

....& I obviously have the long term motivations: Get into a reputable school, do extremely well to get a good job, make a good career, do what I'm fully capable of in life.

3.1 / 156

bluerose1482

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 09:01:06 AM »
I love my job teaching middle school, but everyday feels like a failure.  My job, the sole reason for getting up in the morning, is to teach increasing boring mathematics (like finding the greatest common factor and simplifying fractions) to middle schoolers who have no intrest in it, no real desire to do well and no concequences if they don't do well.  So, ultimately my performance is based on whether or not 100 children did what they were supposed to do, and on a normal day, 75 of them didn't.

Studying for the LSAT is my break from that.  What I do on the LSAT in Decemeber is soley based on how well *I* prepare for the test.  AND doing well in December is my ticket back into school, which honestly is my favorite place to be.

Slider

• Sr. Citizen
  • The only impossible journey is one u never begin
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 10:11:39 AM »

I have 180 printed on an 8 x 11 paper, taped to my wall with a brochure of my desired school. I know its cheesy.. but it motivates me to study hard. The following quotes also helped...

"Success is buried on the other side of frustration;unfortunately some people don't do what it takes to get to the other side"

"Start calling yourself on the limits and restrictions that you set upon yourself."

"Give 100% every day, you cannot make up for it by giving 110% tomorrow. You don't have 110, you only have 100% and you should give it now."

"Our doubts are traitors and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt. " William Shakesspeare

Best of luck.

nygrrrl

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 08:15:17 PM »
Bluerose, this is SO similar to my situation. I used to love my career, but in the past few years I've found myself lying in bed in the
morning, dreading getting up and going to work. Between that and 2 little kids, studying for the LSAT has been my escape - my chance
to challenge myself, to make my brain hurt... yeah. Going back to school - that's my dream, too. Best of luck to you!!!