Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Also transferring from Hofstra  (Read 1811 times)

HllyGlightly0626

• View Profile
Also transferring from Hofstra
« on: September 15, 2009, 04:37:17 PM »
Hello,

I noticed that a few posts down another person is considering transferring from Hofstra Law, but my question is a little different.

The school I really wanted to attend was William & Mary.  However, I did not get accepted and I know it had to have been due to my LSAT score (it was not as high as I would have liked).  So I chose Hofstra.  Now, I don't necessarily have a problem with the school itself - I'm enjoying my classes and like my classmates, etc, but I am still strongly considering trying to transfer into William & Mary.

Here are my concerns/reasons:
-William and Mary is a better ranked school and is my "dream school"
-I am not from NY and may not actually practice in NY, so I don't want to be limited by the fact that I go to Hofstra which seems to be a more regionally-known school
-W&M's mission/purpose is more "up-my-alley" because I am not going for a "big-law" corporate job.  W&M trains "citizen lawyers" which seems to fit my goals better
-As I am not planning to go the corporate route, I am concerned about the debt I am incurring at Hofstra.  Even giving up scholarship, W&M is cheaper and much better for me economically

I understand all of the difficulties with transferring and I realize that I am a long-way off from the opportunity, but I just want to start getting an idea now as to whether or not this is something to consider.  My plan is to focus on my studies and try to do extremely well this first semester/first year - that way if I decide to transfer then I am in a good position to do so (not that doing well at Hofstra guarantees acceptance at W&M, I understand it doesn't) and if I decide not to transfer then I'm in a good position to finish out my degree at Hofstra. 

Also, if I decide that I want to try to transfer, would it be a good idea to contact W&M about it?  I've already read their requirements and the FAQs about transferring, but I am wondering if I should go ahead and get my name out there (possibly go visit and speak to someone about the process...???) or if I should just send in the paperwork and hope for the best?  I just don't know if it would be beneficial for me to make my intentions known to W&M and, if it is, when should I do that?

P.S. Anyone else considering transferring, I suggest you look at this: http://lawschooltransplant.com/2007/09/17/a-transfer-timeline/  it is an outline of sorts for the transfer process (what you should be doing each month - *note that this person tells you to focus mainly on your studies at your current school and not on transferring). 

Any information is greatly appreciated!!!

bryan9584

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Also transferring from Hofstra
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 09:46:19 PM »
My suggestion, don't waste your time now thinking about transferring until you get your fall grades. And after that, you don't really have to apply until you get your spring grades, unless W&M makes transfer decisions based on fall grades like Georgetown. Also, transferring depends on how transfer friendly a school is, i.e. how many transfers they usually accept (the latest ABA data said there was 6 transfers in so it depends on how many people are applying to transfer). Also, when the time comes, it would never hurt to take a trip there and visit and meet with someone in admissions.

btw, this advice is coming from a 2L at Hofstra who spent a lot of time considering transferring but obviously decided to stay. I wanted to stay in NY and get a biglaw job, so your situation is obviously different.

I wish you the best of luck. But, really, don't spend as much time thinking about it until you get your grades, and then don't worry about whether you will transfer until you have the option

HllyGlightly0626

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 10:38:33 PM »
Thanks a bunch for your answer.  I agree with you completely.  I just wanted to get it out there now and then not think about it again until Spring.  Right now my focus is doing as best as I can possibly do here because, who knows, I might change my goals and not even want to transfer later.  So my goal right now is not to transfer.  My goal is to be the best Hofstra Law student I can be. 

This topic kind of came up the other day and it made me think about it, that's all.  Again, thanks for your input, I just needed to hear it from someone who has gone through the same situation (or a similar one).

scoop333

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 03:25:05 PM »
As mentioned above, your focus should be on your grades because wihtout them you cannot even entertain the idea of transferring up.  Stay on track and focused and come the release of Fall grades re-evaluate your interests, goals, and situtaion at your current law school.  If you still have some curiosity regarding transferring then beign the process, but until Fall grades come out you will have no idea where you stand.  The one recommendation I do have outside of performing well in Fall, is begin to develop a rapport with your professors because if you try to transfer, you will need to ask for Letters of Recommendation.  Just keep that in the back of your head.  Good luck and make sure to find a balance in your first semester of law school.

Feel free to message me with anymore ?'s if you have any.

Scoop333