Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Writing your own letter  (Read 1360 times)

amclane

• View Profile
    • Email
Writing your own letter
« on: September 15, 2009, 10:26:15 AM »
I have one great recommendation (my boss), and one weak recommendation. The weak one is a professor that I didn't really know that well. I got an A in her class, and it was a smaller class so she at least knows who I am. I really didn't have any options....

So, she says she will write a letter for me, but I have to draft it. I know this is a bad sign, but I feel stuck! Any suggestions for this? Also, would anyone be willing to read a draft I have written?

mccarthy

• View Profile
Re: Writing your own letter
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 06:49:18 PM »
Instead of seeing this as a bad sign, you should think of it as a great opportunity to shape the content of her letter to your liking. Just say what you would want someone else to say for you and make sure the grammar is good and then give it to her and see what happens. Also, it's great that you have a solid rec from your boss, but try and get another academic rec if possible. Of course, if you can't, it's not the end of the world. It will work out.

amclane

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Writing your own letter
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 12:07:36 PM »
Thanks so much for the positive reply. I wrote the letter and sent it to her. I am feeling pretty good about it at this point.

I'm going with the quality over quantity approach! I don't want to risk asking another professor that only sorta knows me.