Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Can't find a job? What about going solo?  (Read 3028 times)

michaelmclees

• View Profile
    • Email
Can't find a job? What about going solo?
« on: September 15, 2009, 07:42:07 AM »
Follow me as I make the transition from BigLaw to solo.  Feel free to comment away, I will answer you.

Hopefully, the blog will ease some of the fears that many have about going solo.  Join me.

http://michaelmclees.com

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Can't find a job? What about going solo?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 10:51:30 AM »
Transition from Biglaw to solo?  Are you kidding? 

"I am an attorney in Texas, recently graduated and even more recently licensed."

Your blog mentions having an offer with a "high volume personal injury firm."  Allow me to let you in on a little secret.... That isn't Biglaw or even close.

Good for you for hanging your own shingle, but don't make it seem like you had many options, because it's pretty clear you really didn't.

xxspykex

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 01:21:33 AM »
You are one goofy looking @#!*.

legalized

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 02:36:45 AM »
Don't see why the meanness was necessary...in an economy like this shouldn't we be encouraging those who go make their own job instead of crying about how there are no jobs?  

Sometimes it seems like some of you get snobby for no reason.

Good luck with your venture OP. Only issue i see is: why does the site sound like you only do quickie divorces?  

And how is it going so far, what are you doing to market yourself and what ways are working best as far as drawing in paying clients?  Are you working out of an office space or out of home?

Also you need some powerful factual wording on your website.  Don't put on there how fresh out of law school you are. If I am looking for a lawyer I don't want to be reminded how wet behind the ears you are. Some young lawyers put an ad in craigslist that I checked out at one point and you know something, I was impressed with how they didn't act like the WORLD was possible with my case, they told me what they thought, and what might be an option, and said they would go research it and get back to me AND they DID that.  Turns out they don't have jurisdiction (which is something I knew I would run into anyway but thought it wouldn't hurt to try), but the fact that they came across as so on top of their stuff as far as basics and knowing what they DIDN'T know and where to go find that information...I liked that!  

If my case was in their courts' jurisdiction I promise you for customer service alone (and because I intend to be in their shoes one day, fresh in the business and wanting people to give me a chance) I would have saved up the retainer to go with them. :)  And I am sure I asked what law school they graduated from but right now I can't remember!  But I do remember if they sounded like they know what the hell they are talking about or not, and if they acted like they knew I could take my business elsewhere!

Come across like you KNOW your sh*t.  Make the little blurb on educational background be the one brief mention of how new you are unless the client actually asks.  Education: xyz university college of law, JD, 200x.  The end.  That's how I want my lawyer to come across to me anyway.  

You also need to put up any past experience you have had, including summers during law school, a legal clinic run by your school, anything to show my case (hypothetically) won't be your FIRST case (whether it is or not).

And get some customer testimonials up there (real ones, cause someone like me would ask to be able to talk to a name I see up there to confirm the quality of service).

That's my take. In any case good luck and make sure you come across capable and not like a used car salesman.

llsatt1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 06:04:23 PM »
Follow me as I make the transition from BigLaw to solo.  Feel free to comment away, I will answer you.

Hopefully, the blog will ease some of the fears that many have about going solo.  Join me.

http://michaelmclees.com

you should really shave.