Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Prestigious Government Internship Suggestions? Insight?  (Read 3684 times)

kjburke1

• View Profile
    • Email
Prestigious Government Internship Suggestions? Insight?
« on: September 11, 2009, 10:53:37 PM »
Hi,

Anyone have any insight into what some of the more prestigious Gov internships are?  I am interested in white collar crime and trying to target potential agencies for a summer position.  I know the USAO SDNY is rather coveted, but not sure what else there is or what the hieracrhy is (in NY region).  Sorry so broad, but just starting out.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: Prestigious Government Internship Suggestions? Insight?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 08:39:45 AM »
There is the DOJ, but that ship has sailed if you have not already applied.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 11:35:13 AM »
Hi,

Anyone have any insight into what some of the more prestigious Gov internships are?  I am interested in white collar crime and trying to target potential agencies for a summer position.  I know the USAO SDNY is rather coveted, but not sure what else there is or what the hieracrhy is (in NY region).  Sorry so broad, but just starting out.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

It's difficult to organize them all by prestige.  Really, you should just find one that's best for you.  USAO SDNY might be prestigious---I have no idea if it really is for interns rather than attorneys.  However, many USAO interns probably don't work on white collar crime.  Those cases are rare, complex, and often require years of investigation and preparation. 

But anyway, according to the DOJ website, SDNY doesn't regularly take interns.  Maybe they make exceptions for people with connections, though.  I dunno.

EDNY hires interns, so you might want to check that out.

In NYC, I don't think you're going to find too many other federal criminal opportunities.  IRS has a CC office in NYC.  They do mostly civil work (practice in front of the Tax Court), and criminal cases go to the DOJ Tax Division in DC.  But you might get to work on pre-indictment criminal cases.  You'd have to check with them to be sure, though.

Working for a U.S. district judge in NYC would be a good option; same for NY Court of Appeals.  Also, check with the local DA offices if you want to do criminal work.

There is the DOJ, but that ship has sailed if you have not already applied.

The ship has sailed for SLIP positions, but volunteer positions are still available.
http://www.usdoj.gov/oarm/arm/int/legalinternjq.htm

kjburke1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 01:54:09 PM »
I want to do securities work and I have a lot of experience in the field.  I know the SDNY has a securities fraud group, and that their criminal division in general hires summer interns (http://www.usdoj.gov/usao/nys/summerprogram.html).  I have already applied to this but I am not sure what else is really out there which may be a better opportunity.  I was thinking perhaps Attorney General for NY (Cuomo is all over securities fraud cases lately) but not sure what else. 

Of course there is always the SEC/CFTC, but I am more interested in criminal work.

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 02:38:13 PM »
Ah, nice re: SDNY.  I was looking at the DOJ voluteer intern page. 

You might also consider the Antitrust Division.  They have a field office in NYC; from what I understand, all the field offices do criminal work (white collar type stuff).