Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The decline of LSD activity.  (Read 18027 times)

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
The decline of LSD activity.
« on: September 09, 2009, 05:19:04 PM »
Well, I was curious about "how much" LSD's activity has declined over the years and when this decline started to occur.  I noticed an interesting set of statistics - number of new topics created during a month/year.  One would think that the number of topics started during a month should be a fairly good indicator of activity.  After all, a constant number of active new users and old users should produce a rather constant number of new topics during a specific month (i.e. December 2007, December 2008).  However, as the number of active new users declines, one should expect a decline in the number of new topics started since it seems that old stalwarts are more likely to respond in a thread rather than start a new one.  I think by viewing new posts opposed to threads could be more idiosyncratic by representing a couple of new viral threads such as Exile.  This is what those statistics demonstrate:

Month/Year: new topics/new members
July 2009: 424 / 381
July 2008: 1143 / 557
July 2007: 1389 / 541
July 2006: 1802 / 486

January 2009: 626 / 443
January 2008: 1683 / 541
January 2007: 2169 / 507
January 2006: 2921 / 589

I think that one can point to two things:

1) The number of new users has remained rather constant, however new topics have diminished possibly reflecting the fact that as TLS grew, new users were more likely to check out both websites and some - since TLS grew - decided to post over there.

2) However, the amount of new users signing has only begun to decrease this year.  I think that one can infer that the problems related to the LSD homepage (big error messages) are signaling to people that this website is down or that there may be possible security issues - and thus one shouldn't submit their e-mail and personal information.  That said, I think one can confidently conclude that people are less likely now to even test out LSD or to even lurk/browse before posting/registering.

Thoughts?  Critiques?  Alternative hypotheses?

violaboy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: The decline of LSD activity.
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 08:35:50 PM »
I've been thinking about this a lot too, and thanks for the statistics.  I think that it is very telling (and somewhat obvious for those of us on here) that the new topics has decreased so dramatically.  I think that TLS has been a factor; there are a lot of people over there with valuable information, which people aren't posting here.  I guess that I don't help much with that. Also, there are probably some things that could be done to make the site more accessible.  I think that somehow ridding of that error message will help a lot.  It makes it seem that the site isn't well kept up.  I think that the site is easier to navigate than TLS, which surprises me about the popularity, but I think that making the home page actually look like a home page will help a lot.

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
  • My ego isnt LSD strong but I still want to play.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 10:23:25 PM »
Good job with the initiative, PJC.

It's a cause for concern that all of the "higher ups" are aware that the board is in need of a dedicated, easy to find search function - and yet it doesnt happen.

The 'Search Forum' bar at the top of TLS makes that site instantly more attractive for a noob.

If something like that can't happen, it doesnt seem likely that there would be major changes to the layout in an attempt to make the site more user friendly, or anything else that might attract and keep new users.

I saw a post by 'blueskies where she opined that it's a matter of bandwidth, and perhaps the owners don't want to increase the cost of the site (by adding a board specific search function). I thought that was a pretty insightful observation, but it's not an area I know about.

Birds of a feather flock together.

LSN

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 10:37:33 PM »
no funny people any more.  just bluegoatfuckers.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 08:36:57 AM »
I think fixing the errors on the home page would do alot. I have other ideas, but not time right now to type them up. One thing TLS does good is interaction by Ken to make the site better, I have not seen an Andrew post in many years.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 01:39:40 PM »
What's the homepage error? When I go to lawschooldiscussion.org I see no errors and a search box.

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 02:13:37 PM »
What's the homepage error? When I go to lawschooldiscussion.org I see no errors and a search box.

It seems to be working at the moment.  But frequently, the body of the homepage contains error messages, no search function, nor a listing of recent posts.  Sometimes the construction of the homepage is pretty messed up and appears like the website is not functioning.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 02:52:23 PM »
student side is still blank
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

hooloovoo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 03:13:22 PM »
lack of useful search function.  this place started going downhill as soon as that disappeared.

LawSchool2011

• blurgh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 04:53:57 PM »
I've followed TLS and LSD. Both have been great source of information. I think as forums go, LSD has a little bit more information than TLS and maybe even a set of "experts." So I feel like there is consistent moderation and replies. However, I recently registered as a user to ask a question that wasn't being asked and very unique to me. After posting a new discussion, I realized I should have posted under an already existing TestPrep discussion. So I posted it there too. So a few hours later I get banned. Some of the 'senior citizens' thought i was employee of a test prep company. Just cause I asked "does anybody know anything about this company". Anyways, after the 48 hr ban I felt like LSD 'senior citizens' were applying their rules unfairly. They would let people write irrelevant put downs and just haggling but they'd ban me just cause they thought i worked for a company. I don't work for a company. I didn't want to squander my money on any testprep company, so I asked. Anyways. I think LSD and TLS both are important but TLS seems to be more open. Like the previous poster, they also have higher traffic. Both work for me. I think LSD can over come TLS in importance if moderations were done fairly and continuous back and forth between people could be better moderated. I mean, some discussions, I'm going down page after page before finding useful stuff. That's just my two cents. thanks for a great discussion board.