Law School Discussion

NOT going to class

Re: NOT going to class
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2009, 08:34:31 PM »
I miss class all the time, have good grades, go to a good school, and have a Biglaw offer.  Get over yourself dude.  If you want to go to class because you want to, awesome, but don't act like you need to go to succeed in law school because you flat out don't.

This, and other similar comments regarding class attendance, seem to help make the case for distance/internet based law schools.

One that skips class goes at least 1L year for the most part.  Socratic method is important, like it or not.

That said, no law job worth it's time will ever take a distance law school grad seriously.  If you wanna flush your money into University of Distant Law School go right ahead.

Matthies

• View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2009, 09:29:53 AM »
I miss class all the time, have good grades, go to a good school, and have a Biglaw offer.  Get over yourself dude.  If you want to go to class because you want to, awesome, but don't act like you need to go to succeed in law school because you flat out don't.

This, and other similar comments regarding class attendance, seem to help make the case for distance/internet based law schools.

One that skips class goes at least 1L year for the most part.  Socratic method is important, like it or not.

That said, no law job worth it's time will ever take a distance law school grad seriously.  If you wanna flush your money into University of Distant Law School go right ahead.

1L needs to be in person I agree, but there is no reason you could not have 2/3L compleatly online if you half way intelgant. I took two online classes in LS and wish we had more.

M_Cool

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2009, 11:11:22 AM »
2L & 3L should just have like 3-4 required classes like evidence / corps and then have an apprentice clinic type program for the rest. 

« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2009, 11:18:36 AM »
2L & 3L should just have like 3-4 required classes like evidence / corps and then have an apprentice clinic type program for the rest. 

Required classes?  I disagree with that, but I'll agree with the apprenticeship.  More like med school.

Matthies

• View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2009, 01:02:25 PM »

Required classes?  I disagree with that, but I'll agree with the apprenticeship.  More like med school.

yea I agree, the whole 3rd year cpuld be clnical and produce much better lawyers out the gate

« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2009, 09:57:42 AM »
As I received an offer during my 1L summer, I was able to test what worked best for me in law school.

1L Fall: Attended 65% of class, read 70% of reading, decent exam prep: 45%
1L Spring: Attended 25% of class, read 20% of reading, no exam prep: 65%
2L Fall: Attended 90% of class, read 30% of reading, no exam prep: 35%
2L Spring: Attended 95% of class, read 10% of reading, decent exam prep: 25%

For me, going to as many classes as possible and finding a decent outline to review = the perfect blend.