Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NOT going to class  (Read 4973 times)

;;;;;

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: NOT going to class
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 10:25:46 PM »
flame flame flame.

Why go to class?!!?  LOLZ that's ridiculous!  What do those old windbags know that a hornbook won't tell me?  Besides, I'm sure they will test and grade from hornbooks...definitely not what they cover in class.
"Don't read what they write about you, just measure it in inches."  Andy Warhol

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 12:01:53 PM »
flame flame flame.

Why go to class?!!?  LOLZ that's ridiculous!  What do those old windbags know that a hornbook won't tell me?  Besides, I'm sure they will test and grade from hornbooks...definitely not what they cover in class.

Are you a 1L?  Because the reality is the black letter law is the black letter law.  Short of going to a TTT where they keep track of attendance and have quizzes and what not, most higher ranked schools are pretty standard. 

If you learn a hornbook and study a general outline from your SBA bank, you can easily do as well if not better than the guy who sat through class every day.  That's law school.

byebyeny

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 02:02:20 PM »
I am a 1L. My school is ranked top 40. I am just frustrated because I barely learn anything from class and most of the stuff professor says seems very irrelevant. This gets worse when everyone else in the room starts yelling out their opinions because I DONT CARE ABOUT WHAT THESE PEOPEL THINK. I really wish law school lectures were more about the law or precedents than just opinions of 1Ls who have no law experience. I could have done that with my friends who are not in law school. The worst part is when professor calls on people and I'm sure no one likes that part.

M_Cool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 02:40:20 PM »
you should drop out

;;;;;

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2009, 05:38:59 PM »
flame flame flame.

Are you a 1L?  Because the reality is the black letter law is the black letter law.  Short of going to a TTT where they keep track of attendance and have quizzes and what not, most higher ranked schools are pretty standard. 

If you learn a hornbook and study a general outline from your SBA bank, you can easily do as well if not better than the guy who sat through class every day.  That's law school.

No, I'm a 2L who f*cking killed it my 1L year by going to class and saying what the professor wanted to hear on his exam.

What do I care?  Stay home and paint your toenails and play mariokart  all day.  ITE you might as well gamble with your GPA.  Maybe I will get a B!!  ZOMG!
"Don't read what they write about you, just measure it in inches."  Andy Warhol

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2009, 06:15:34 PM »
I miss class all the time, have good grades, go to a good school, and have a Biglaw offer.  Get over yourself dude.  If you want to go to class because you want to, awesome, but don't act like you need to go to succeed in law school because you flat out don't.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2009, 09:23:22 AM »
Going to class may or may not improve your understanding of the law.  But what class will almost always do is give you a window into what the prof wants.

If you skip out on class, how will you ever know that the professor LOVES policy arguments, and expect to see that on the exam?  How will you know that the prof rejects one of the main points/theories in the casebook, and will teach his own "pet" approach?

Just suck it up and go to class.  Do whatever, surf the net, play solitare, etc.  But keep an ear out for the stuff like I mentioned above.

And who knows, if you just relax and go with the flow during class, you may learn something.  (I would guess that if you're automatically assuming that class will suck, and that you're getting stressed out as soon as it starts, your frustration level will rise almost immediately, guaranteeing you won't learn anything)

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2009, 11:54:51 AM »
Short of going to a TTT where they keep track of attendance and have quizzes and what not, most higher ranked schools are pretty standard. 

What TTT schools have regular quizzes?

As for attendance, I can understand that.  The ABA requires law schools to ensure that students attend class.  ABA Standard 304(d), available at http://www.abanet.org/legaled/standards/2009-2010%20StandardsWebContent/Chapter3.pdf.

xxspykex

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2009, 01:03:16 AM »
^ that. Profs take attendance because the ABA requires them to do so. If you miss more then something like 4 classes you get dropped from the class (depending on how long each of your classes are and how many days a week they meet).

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2009, 10:12:39 AM »
^ that. Profs take attendance because the ABA requires them to do so. If you miss more then something like 4 classes you get dropped from the class (depending on how long each of your classes are and how many days a week they meet).

Actually, the ABA requires attendance, but they don't require law schools to take attendance.... My school and many other higher ranked schools don't take attendance.