Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NOT going to class  (Read 4642 times)

byebyeny

• View Profile
    • Email
NOT going to class
« on: September 08, 2009, 11:25:21 PM »
can you still pass all of your classes during ur first year even if u dont go to them?
I find most of my classes very disorganized and unhelpful. It seems like we are constantly
just talking about random hypotheticals that doesnt really relate to what we learn from the book.

To put it briefly, I dont think i am getting ANYTHING out of my classes and even some things I do get, I seem to forget very quickly (or could have learned the same thing by reading casebook myself)
So, is it possible to pass your final exams without going to class?
Has anyone done this as 1L? Any input would be appreciated.

Changed Name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: NOT going to class
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 12:50:41 AM »
Firstly, since you're a 1L and haven't taken any law school examinations, I'd be hard pressed to be so sure that I'm "not getting anything from class."

Secondly, even if it is the case that you're not getting anything from class, have you considered the possibility that YOU'RE in the wrong?  That is, you're not doing what you're supposed to be doing; you're not thinking about the material; you're not pay attention closely, etc.  There could be a number of things that you're failing to do that causes you to not get anything out of class.

Thirdly, it probably isn't hard to skip every class and still get a passing grade.  A C is passing.  If you can write a semi-coherent answer and spout off some law, you'll get a C.  Ask yourself:  do you want a 2.0 GPA your first year of law school though?  Ask yourself further:  What do I hope to do with my law degree?  And will you be able to do those things with such a low GPA?

Bottom line:  suck it up.  You're paying lots of money (or if you're on a full scholarship, you chose) to attend law school.  Part of the allure of law school should have been an interest in studying law.  I'll admit sometimes class can get boring, but at the end of the day, I'm much happier in my law school classes than I ever was in undergraduate classes because I'm interested in the subject.

byebyeny

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 01:20:37 AM »
well here is my problem. I do all the readings and I still don't get anything from classes. Like I said, I do get few things here and there, but I doubt I'll remember any of those things after few hours. I do admit feeling lost a lot of the time, and as you said, I do agree that part of the problem is that I don't pay enough attention. Having said all that, I am seriously considering not going to class for a good reason. I think it gives me too much unnecessary stress that affects my daily routine of studying. (and I do respect people who go to class everyday, pay attention, and participate. It's just that I really don't think it will work for me) I have absolutely NO problem studying for 10 hours a day on my own (and when I do this, I actually understand the material, and I do feel like I learned something) so it's not like I am trying to skip classes because I am lazy or something.

To be honest, I will have absolutely no problem if I can just graduate with 2.0 GPA. I have my own plan after I graduate, but it is unnecessary for me to explain it here. The frustrating thing is, whenever I study on my own, I feel great and whenever I go to class, I feel horrible and won't study for the rest of the day because I either feel overwhelmed or depressed.

Changed Name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 01:24:05 AM »
well here is my problem. I do all the readings and I still don't get anything from classes. Like I said, I do get few things here and there, but I doubt I'll remember any of those things after few hours. I do admit feeling lost a lot of the time, and as you said, I do agree that part of the problem is that I don't pay enough attention. Having said all that, I am seriously considering not going to class for a good reason. I think it gives me too much unnecessary stress that affects my daily routine of studying. (and I do respect people who go to class everyday, pay attention, and participate. It's just that I really don't think it will work for me) I have absolutely NO problem studying for 10 hours a day on my own (and when I do this, I actually understand the material, and I do feel like I learned something) so it's not like I am trying to skip classes because I am lazy or something.

To be honest, I will have absolutely no problem if I can just graduate with 2.0 GPA. I have my own plan after I graduate, but it is unnecessary for me to explain it here. The frustrating thing is, whenever I study on my own, I feel great and whenever I go to class, I feel horrible and won't study for the rest of the day because I either feel overwhelmed or depressed.

Hmm.. I don't know.  I just don't know if you can say with certainty that you're grasping the material studying on your own.  You might be.  But, I don't know.  I think you should still go to class and see what you can delineate from the discussion.  Write down the questions the professor asks and not the answers so much.

For waht it's worth, I do think anyone can get a C without going to class (probably straight B's even).

M_Cool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 01:48:05 AM »
It's quite possible to get an A without ever attending class.  But why bother?  Class is like 2 hours a day?  Just go and surf the net.  You never know if something said will aid you.  I think class is just good for the peace of mind that you know the subjects that are being covered.

Dxion

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 10:23:17 AM »
Go to class.

MauveAvenger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 11:08:49 AM »
You should consider your school's policy on attendance. The ABA requires strict attendance records, and while most professors don't take roll, if they notice that they call your name and you're not there, it will be rather obvious. Just go to class and study there, if you really can't concentrate and feel stressed. Enough people surf the internet or zone out that you won't be THAT noticeable if your head is buried in your book.

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 11:16:16 AM »
You should consider your school's policy on attendance. The ABA requires strict attendance records, and while most professors don't take roll, if they notice that they call your name and you're not there, it will be rather obvious. Just go to class and study there, if you really can't concentrate and feel stressed. Enough people surf the internet or zone out that you won't be THAT noticeable if your head is buried in your book.

this
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 11:24:20 AM »
It's quite possible to get an A without ever attending class.  But why bother?  Class is like 2 hours a day?  Just go and surf the net.  You never know if something said will aid you.  I think class is just good for the peace of mind that you know the subjects that are being covered.

This. I went to the vast magority of my classes, but I NEVER paid attention in class at all. All the notes I ever took in law school would fit on five pages double spaced and I ended up 13th in my class. I am just not an aduitory learner AT ALL. I have the attention span of a nat for someone lecturing to me. I got everything from reading. Maybe some stuff by omsiss by being in the class when something critical was said and I perked up, but 90% of the time I was on the net. Any of my classmate can cofirm this, I was known as the guy who login and tuned out. BUT that worked for me, you have not been trhough exams yet, do that first then decide if you can understand this stuff anough on your own to tune out. But, again, I would still go to class, don't weant to get failed out becuase you miss to many. Just go and tune out.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

dubsy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 05:33:26 PM »
where are you at (T-Bracket wise?)? i can't imagine a school having 1L courses so "disorganized" and off-putting that you consider not even attending within your very first month of law school.
seeing king midas everywhere.