Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Barbri vs. Kaplan for bar prep?  (Read 32945 times)

CAbar2011

• View Profile
Re: Barbri vs. Kaplan for bar prep?
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 07:49:39 PM »
After my experience with Kaplan this summer, I would not advise anyone to do their bar review course. Their lectures are completely disorganized, gloss over key facts and spend an annoying amount of time telling you things that you already now. They basically rely on diligent students teaching themselves everything and keep on repeating that if you just memorize everything, you will be fine. As if we didn't already know that. They do leave you completely unequipped for how to deal with a situation if you can't recall a rule on the exam (something which Barbri expressly teaches you how to deal with).

Also, their printed materials are really bad and disorganized, the notes for the lectures include spelling mistakes, frequently hypos which are discussed are not even included etc etc....the list just goes on. I ended up buying the Barbri books and Barflash flash cards which I have been using together with Kaplan's lectures and other materials. Needless to say, this increased the cost far beyond what I wanted to spend....I should also say that they changed the venue on me so that instead of doing a location on the Westside in LA, they changed it to downtown which became an impossible commute to do given traffic and the general time crunch involved with prepping for the bar (unless you feel like spending 2 hrs in traffic every day is a good way to be spending your precious time), which meant that I had to do everything on video instead from home. Was I refunded the price I had paid extra for the live elements? Of course not. I have no clue if I'll be passing the July bar in California or not, but from what I gather, I would advise you to go with Barbri instead. There is a reason why they have been around for so long.

Specks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Barbri vs. Kaplan for bar prep?
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 01:49:07 AM »
Barbri is stupid. I'm taking it right now and their way of teaching totally didn't work for me. Finally just hunkered down and outlined my own crap. The only lecture worth anything was by Chimerinsky on Con Law and I don't credit Barbri for him being a great lecturer.