Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Howard University: lol funny idea  (Read 8156 times)

HopefullyHarvard2011

• View Profile
Howard University: lol funny idea
« on: September 08, 2009, 01:12:28 AM »
I'm not here to cause a big fuss, or start a riot. I was reading a post from a while back of a black law student hopeful. The post was about his numbers, and his quest to get into Howard Law. I thought to myself, Howard practically has no AA! Most, if not all of the applications come from minorities. Now, I haven't looked into this, but If a white man were to apply with higher numbers - what would happen? Is it an African-American only school? If so, that's bull (however I don't think that is possible). My main question entertains the idea of a white man using reverse AA to get into the school. Lol. He'd probably be the most hated 1L, if this is even possible? Has it been done?

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
Re: Howard University: lol funny idea
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 03:05:38 PM »
I'm not here to cause a big fuss, or start a riot. I was reading a post from a while back of a black law student hopeful. The post was about his numbers, and his quest to get into Howard Law. I thought to myself, Howard practically has no AA! Most, if not all of the applications come from minorities. Now, I haven't looked into this, but If a white man were to apply with higher numbers - what would happen? Is it an African-American only school? If so, that's bull (however I don't think that is possible). My main question entertains the idea of a white man using reverse AA to get into the school. Lol. He'd probably be the most hated 1L, if this is even possible? Has it been done?

Howard has lots of Asians, East Indians and a good number of whites in their professional schools. Howard uses diversity in making admission decisions.
YLS c/o 2009

HopefullyHarvard2011

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 08:13:21 PM »
I figured they'd have other minorities such as the races you've listed. However, I didn't expect they had Whites; I believed a white person may feel overwhelmed by black culture. Often as black students who are questioned in elementary schools by white students on an array of subjects (Can I touch your hair?). Thank you for the insight.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 02:11:06 AM »
According to LSAC, Howard has 25 whites and 25 Asians.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 09:49:52 PM »
I figured they'd have other minorities such as the races you've listed. However, I didn't expect they had Whites; I believed a white person may feel overwhelmed by black culture. Often as black students who are questioned in elementary schools by white students on an array of subjects (Can I touch your hair?). Thank you for the insight.

There are whites or other ethnic group who are into the "black culture."   For example, eminem would fit in just fine with a bunch of blacks on stage or....anywhere else. 

JDat45

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 10:37:14 PM »

This is a very good observation...imagine how blacks feel day to day in America...not complaining, just sayin'  ;)

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 10:16:04 AM »

How do you feel about affirmative action benefiting blacks?

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 03:20:05 AM »

How do you feel about affirmative action benefiting blacks?

In terms of?
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

reez

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 06:44:49 AM »
yo Ninja, do you know a Professor Burch?

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2009, 07:30:57 AM »
Looking at the ABA guide, the 25 whites and 25 asians are for total enrollment, not entering 1Ls.

For entering 1Ls, they had 11 whites and 10 asians (out of 180 1Ls) at the time the most recent ABA guide was put together.

In general, I think you'll find that it's a lot harder to get into Howard Law if you're not black, even if your numbers are higher than average for that school. I would imagine that if you're white and trying to get into Howard Law you need a really compelling reason for wanting to attend over other schools. Not surprising given the school's mission.

Not sure what you find "funny" about all this...