Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Anatomy of an Ideal & Effective Law School Statement *New*  (Read 1200 times)

writetrackad

• info@writetrackadmissions.com | (888) WRIT-TRK
    • View Profile
    • Write Track Admissions
    • Email
The Anatomy of an Ideal & Effective Law School Statement *New*
« on: September 06, 2009, 09:36:41 PM »
A General Anatomy of an Effective Law School Personal Statement
Kal, Write Track Admissions

After receiving many emails about how to construct an effective personal statement, I thought I would provide a general outline/schematic for how to approach conceptualizing and structuring the statement.  Indeed, preparing a clear vision is vital before putting pen to paper, and composing an outline provides an established framework that affirms your statement will flow thematically, and read fluidly.  Again, the following outline is very general, but provides a solid template you can use to commence organizing the structure of your statement. 
_____________________________ _____________________

Introduction: Try to start with an action or some unique statement, perhaps a quote or slogan.  The key is to start the essay with some memorable idea that you can also use to conclude the statement.  A provocative or dramatic message that will immediately capture the attention of the admissions committee reader.  For instance, consider the following opening to an effective law school statement: 

“Our language is the reflection of ourselves.  A language is an exact reflection of the character and growth of its speakers.”  I vividly recall reading the words of Cesar Chavez, the iconic Mexican American organizer who dedicated himself to California’s farm workers and their claim to justice.  Listening to President Barack Obama proclaim Chavez’s rallying cry, “Si si puede!” not only resurrected Chavez’s altruistic spirit, but also a revitalized American ethos premised on a recommitment to multiculturalism and inclusion. 

Primary Essay Body: Use the majority of the statement to elaborate on the points made in the introduction but make sure that there is an element of continuity where there is a clear trajectory in the client’s life that has lead them to pursue the program of their choice.  Integrate the personal narrative with the accomplishments, and articulate a compelling story/progression that leads up to the client’s decision to pursue a particular academic course of study. 

School/Program Paragraph: Use a section of the essay before the end of the essay to state why the school the client is applying i.e. location, professors, programs, future opportunities after graduation.  Herein, the salient key is to integrate your aspirations and interests with the strengths of the particular program, which motives your decision to apply there. 

Conclusion: Use the central point made in the introduction and bring the essay back full circle, concluding with a salient statement that really captures the clients story and statement.

Please contact me directly for any questions you have about the personal law school statement, or more comprehensive help with you statement. 
_____________________________ _____
Write Track Law Admissions
Admission Expert | www.writetrackadmissions.com
info@writetrackadmissions.com
Get Noticed, Get In

kilpatrick

• View Profile
Re: The Anatomy of an Ideal & Effective Law School Statement *New*
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 10:53:04 PM »
I have received many emails regarding this post. 

First, the Personal Statement template is a general guide for how to go about constructing a solid outline that will facilitate the illustration of your narrative, and maintain a focused scope.  However, it is not meant to be a rigid outline, so be sure to adjust it according to your respective statement.

Second, be sure to brainstorm and contemplate ideas and content.  The Personal Statement is perhaps the most key component of your application next to your LSAT and GPA, and thus, think about it closely before settling on a topic/theme.  Remember, law school admissions does not offer an interview, so treat the Personal Statement as you "law school interview on paper," and humanize your story in an original and memmorable fashion.  DO NOT recycle your resume.

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me directly.

Best,

Kal, Write Track Admissions

You spelled memorable wrong. Are you actually typing this spam out by hand? You could probably save a lot of time if you just copy and pasted these.