Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Clerkship for 2L Summer, When to Apply??  (Read 3558 times)

P. Pius

• View Profile
Clerkship for 2L Summer, When to Apply??
« on: September 06, 2009, 12:20:03 PM »
This past summer I worked for a professor as a research assistant and helped her research/write her article for a law journal.  This summer I'm looking to work for a judge (I'd prefer it to be a bankruptcy judge as this is the area of law I'm looking to get into).  There are several in Houston that I can apply to, but I'd also like to apply to a few in Austin as well as out of state (ie California).  When I graduate, I want to practice in Houston, Austin, or LA, so I figure working a summer in either city would be a good chance to establish some roots.

My question is when should I apply for a clerkship with these judges?  I remember last yr as a 1L, people didn't apply until January or February for clerkships.  Given that I'm a 2L now and the job market is kind of tight, I wanted to apply earlier for these positions.

As for clerkships in LA, should I mention that I'll be in the area on X dates and would be available to interview with them then?  As well, should I send my resume, cover letter, etc to the actual judge or to the clerk for the court?

As for my credentials, I'm right outside of the top 1/3.  I'm not on a journal this semester but am doing work with the Mock Trial teams at school.  I competed this summer on the Mock Trial teams as well as working for the professor (as mentioned above)

Thanks for the help ya'll. 
In like Flint (Accepted):  South Texas, St. Mary's
Out on a limb (Pending):  Arizona State, Southwestern, Oregon
Better luck next time (Denial): 

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=runnerxc8888

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
Re: Clerkship for 2L Summer, When to Apply??
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 01:00:56 PM »
I would recommend waiting to apply until October; maybe November.  If you apply in September, your application could get lost in the shuffle because of the clerkship hiring season.  I applied to circuit judges in August when I was a 2L, and one of the judges sent me a rejection for a clerkship (that is, a paid, post-grad, one-year clerkship). 

I would make sure you say in your cover letter that you would like an internship--not a clerkship.  Although some legal professionals refer to part-time or summer work as a "clerkship," this term specifically refers to paid, post-grad employment with a judge. 

You should send your applications directly to each judge.

FYI, in the past Judge Bohm in Houston hired a ton of interns each summer (several dozen), and I believe Judge Isgur also hires some interns.  I'm not sure about the other bankruptcy judges.  I definitely recommend interning for a federal judge in Houston.  There are a lot of interns over the summer and some great events (lunches with judges/clerks and a reception at a judge's house).  Most of the district judges take interns, as well.

armyjag

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Clerkship for 2L Summer, When to Apply??
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 05:06:52 PM »
Yeah, if you go to STCL, you should have no problem with those bankruptcy judges.  Bohm takes many more than Isgur.  I'd get going soon though.
Proving there is redemption in this world...