Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What am I missing here?  (Read 1316 times)

JDWannaBeNC

• View Profile
What am I missing here?
« on: September 06, 2009, 08:37:36 AM »
Please know that this is written out of ignorance, not out of any kind of patronizing nonsense.  I'm seriously afraid I'm not understanding the law school admissions process.

What makes it so stressful and/or difficult?  Is it the fact that it appears to be a numbers-based admit process with no wiggle room for subjective assessment?  I'm coming from social sciences... so our application process is MUCH different (as some of you know).

On the surface, it SEEMS like I'm more likely to get into a law school than into a clinical psych program... but obviously, this isn't that simple or no one would get stressed.

Any information appreciated so I can fill in the gaps.  I know so little about this and feel like I'm coming late to the party and don't know any of the guests!  I'll be applying for entrance next fall.  I'm transitioning from another field and mainly want to do it so I can have more broad range in my field as far as policy development, mediation, etc.  Just sort of taking it all in a different direction.

I have lurked here since I decided this was the move for me but clearly, I'm not as freaked out as I need to be and I don't want to overlook something and not be prepared for the consequences.

Thanks and good luck to you all.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
Re: What am I missing here?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 09:46:03 AM »
The main things are its very numbers driven, its very competitive, and some schools get 5k applications for just 200 seats. There are far more people applying to LS then the schools could ever admit.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

JDWannaBeNC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 10:03:21 AM »
Thanks, I've been talking to some of my friends who are now in law and I just wasn't sure if I understood the full process.

I think my biggest concern exists after law school... the whole admitting to the bar thing.  I find it very nerve wracking that they sit and ponder over your entire life's efforts and pass judgment on your "fitness." 

I don't have anything major just a stolen street sign situation (dismissed) from many, many years ago.  I heard a story (urban legend maybe??), though, who omitted a college he'd attended on his new college applications, graduate applications, and then law school applications... got through to the bar application, and they found out... and all of the other degrees became at risk for being revoked because of that omission.  Is that common?  How closely do they look anyway? Ha.

Thanks again, the numbers game sucks.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 12:00:15 PM »
Thanks, I've been talking to some of my friends who are now in law and I just wasn't sure if I understood the full process.

I think my biggest concern exists after law school... the whole admitting to the bar thing.  I find it very nerve wracking that they sit and ponder over your entire life's efforts and pass judgment on your "fitness." 

I don't have anything major just a stolen street sign situation (dismissed) from many, many years ago.  I heard a story (urban legend maybe??), though, who omitted a college he'd attended on his new college applications, graduate applications, and then law school applications... got through to the bar application, and they found out... and all of the other degrees became at risk for being revoked because of that omission.  Is that common?  How closely do they look anyway? Ha.

Thanks again, the numbers game sucks.

They look VERY closly, just disclose, and you will be fine. They don't care so much about what you did, but they care alot if you lie to them about it/ I had worse then street sign stealing on mine and have had no problems so far.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.