Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Question about unaccredited journals  (Read 883 times)

ah01

• View Profile
Question about unaccredited journals
« on: September 04, 2009, 04:09:24 PM »
There's a journal at my school that covers the area of law where I want to practice. But, it's unaccredited. One of the major reasons why I'd want to participate in a journal is because employers like it, and it would make me more attractive to them as a candidate. Will participating in an unaccredited journal help me in the same way, or is it seen differently?

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
Re: Question about unaccredited journals
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 04:40:18 PM »
There's a journal at my school that covers the area of law where I want to practice. But, it's unaccredited. One of the major reasons why I'd want to participate in a journal is because employers like it, and it would make me more attractive to them as a candidate. Will participating in an unaccredited journal help me in the same way, or is it seen differently?

What do you mean “unaccredited?” I was on a secondary journal that was in the area of law I wanted to practice. I found it really helpful because though that I got to meet a lot of lawyers who practiced that area, I got published in the area of law I wanted to practice and it fit well with the rest of my resume as making me look like I was well suited to practice that area of law. For most people the right answer is go LR, but for me knowing I wanted to practice X and this journal being dedicated to only X it seemed to work out for me in the end.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

ah01

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 06:22:25 PM »
By unaccredited, I mean it's not yet officially recognized by the school. It was only started 3 years ago, and my school still classifies it among "student groups" rather than official journals. It doesn't participate in the regular write-on competition all the other journals do, etc.

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 01:15:13 PM »
Interesting question ah01.  Frankly, unless you are in the situation that Matthies was, or you didn't get on law review and want the experience, the work involved might not be worth it.  However, I do have a friend who was on a very secondary journal who became Editor in Chief and said it helped her in interviews.  In my experience though, law review REALLY REALLY helps you, with a wide range of employers, and is the route to go. 

Full disclosure: I was on law review, so I don't know what my experience would have been without it.

M_Cool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 11:06:04 PM »
I could be wrong but I doubt employers care much when it comes to secondary journals.  They're just going to look and go "oh he was on a secondary" and move on. 

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 09:38:58 AM »
I could be wrong but I doubt employers care much when it comes to secondary journals.  They're just going to look and go "oh he was on a secondary" and move on. 

It helped me alot becuase I only applied to jobs with a specific pratcice area that was the same as my secondary jounral. Gets mentioned everytime someone sees my resume, but if I was going for any job might not be helpfull.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

M_Cool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 04:41:49 PM »
Not saying they aren't useful (especially during interviews where they can be a great conversation starter).  I'm saying they probably don't care enough to check your journals rankings or accreditation or whatever.