Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Military  (Read 9501 times)

Farfan1

• View Profile
    • Email
Military
« on: September 04, 2009, 11:24:08 AM »
Didnt notice a military thread out there, so I thought I would start one.  Any military out there??

Hammie5150

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Military
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 01:49:21 AM »
USAF here...  Looking at FSU or UF in about two years.

TeamBlue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 01:24:24 AM »
USMC vet.  still undergrad.  Trrying to save up GI bill eligiblity.  Do you think its worth it?

jollyrog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 12:19:59 AM »
USMC vet.  still undergrad.  Trrying to save up GI bill eligiblity.  Do you think its worth it?

It depends on which GI bill you have. I don't know where you are, but Ohio grants in-state tuition to all veterans (and their kids), so that's something to consider. Depending how recently you got out, other schools have special "deals" for vets, some related to the 9-11 GI Bill/Yellow Ribbon program, some not.

jjleague

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 03:22:10 PM »
USCG here. Former USNR. If you are a Texas vet then check out the Hazelwood act. It allows up to 180 credit hours at any public Uni in the state after you have exhausted all federal resources (read GI Bill). I know of at least one guy who went to U of Houston on that bill and was using the rest of the credits to get a degree in flying (a pilots license).

txgs2005

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 02:02:24 PM »
USArmy vet here. Hopeful and praying! :)

JinYin_Thew

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 01:18:05 AM »
let's wish good luck to the soldiers , they are nearing the end in Afghanistan.
Read this ;

US, Afghans Sweep Taliban Stronghold

MARJAH, Afghanistan - Thousands of U.S. Marines and Afghan soldiers stormed the Taliban stronghold of Marjah by air and ground Saturday, meeting only scattered resistance but facing a daunting thicket of bombs and booby traps that slowed the allied advance through the town.

The massive offensive was aimed at establishing Afghan government authority over the biggest southern town under militant control and breaking the Taliban grip over a wide area of their southern heartland.

Maj. Gen. Nick Carter, NATO commander of forces in southern Afghanistan, said Afghan and coalition troops, aided by 60 helicopters, made a "successful insertion" into Marjah in southern Helmand province. He said the operation was going "without a hitch."

Thousands of British, U.S. and Canadian troops also swept into Taliban areas to the north of Marjah, seeking to clear a wide swath of villages that had been under Taliban control for several years.

No coalition casualties had been reported more than 12 hours after the initial airborne assault, but NATO said three U.S. soldiers were killed Saturday in a bombing elsewhere in southern Afghanistan.

Read Full Story

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 02:26:57 AM »
let's wish good luck to the soldiers , they are nearing the end in Afghanistan.

Absolutely yes.  And thank you to all for your service.

As to law school, service will help considerably in areas of focus and a steady, disciplined pace.  That is one of the keys to productive law study.  Avoid a frenetic, panicked approach that is so often the (bad) norm.  You'll also likely find a good deal of respect from faculty, most students, and, even moreso, from employers.

Again, thank you, and good luck,

Thane.

louiebstef

• Sr. Citizen
  • 45 y/o Non-Trad-2012 cycle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 01:51:03 AM »
Guess I'm pretty LATE on this one!

Retired USN CWO4 here.  Will be applying to UF/FSU/Miami/Stetson/FIU/FAMU in 2012 cycle. 
"Why be a lawyer? I'm already an ass.  Might as well go professional!"

wjo9522

• Semper Fidelis
    • View Profile
    • Marine Officer
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 08:00:27 AM »
Active USMC CWO2 here w/18 yrs service.  I asked the site moderators for our own discussion area.  We'll have to see where that goes.
William J. Orr
Chief Warrant Officer
US Marine Corps-Active
1993-2015
Semper Fidelis