Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Military  (Read 9889 times)

louiebstef

• Sr. Citizen
  • 45 y/o Non-Trad-2012 cycle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Military
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2010, 11:58:04 PM »
WOOHOO!!!

Back on this site after the "trojan downloader" debacle.
"Why be a lawyer? I'm already an ass.  Might as well go professional!"

Tanrael

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2010, 10:06:09 AM »
I'm late on this one too, but US Navy.  still working on my bachelors hoping to apply for the entering class in 2013 to Harvard, Cornell and as for the rest i'm still making my list.  If you can get into Harvard or Cornell, it is a great opportunity with the yellow ribbon program.  You could walk away with virtually no debt if you used TA while on active duty.  There are others too but i'm still researching.

UCLA has pretty good coverage if you want west coast.

wjo9522

• Semper Fidelis
    • View Profile
    • Marine Officer
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2010, 06:19:14 AM »
WOOHOO!!!

Welcome back!
William J. Orr
Chief Warrant Officer
US Marine Corps-Active
1993-2015
Semper Fidelis

barond

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2010, 01:22:28 AM »
I am a 2L who did 5 years from 1997 to 2002 (army) who is drawing my last chapter 33 next month.  Its a long journey to become a lawyer. All you are big time officers makin that thick bread with nice benefits. Isn't that position better than being a lawyer?

Just curious, but it appears some of you have ETS's 2 or 3 years away- thats an eternity length of time to be considering law school isn't it?

Tanrael

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2010, 07:24:24 AM »
Not all of us are officers making big bank.  I am enlisted and making a lot closer to typical PD pay.  With my retirement I should be fairly comfortable.

As I have gotten older 2 or 3 years doesn't seem as long as it used to and it means I won't have any regrets about my GPA.  I will have everything ready, without the risk that a kid right out of college is going to have to take.  Honestly, I think most law students would do well to start preparing that soon. 

interrex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2010, 09:56:37 AM »
God bless our troops, if someone is not a veteran and dosn't have a disability that barred service they shouldn't be allowed to vote run or hold public office!

As for Afganistan, we'll never leave. Iraq eventually, but not Afganistan. If we do it'll just revert back in the next day the way it did after we "won" in Somalia. The troops are doing the best that anyone could, but even the best pilot can't keep a plane in the air after everyone parashoots out and it runs out of gas........

let's wish good luck to the soldiers , they are nearing the end in Afghanistan.
Read this ;

US, Afghans Sweep Taliban Stronghold

MARJAH, Afghanistan - Thousands of U.S. Marines and Afghan soldiers stormed the Taliban stronghold of Marjah by air and ground Saturday, meeting only scattered resistance but facing a daunting thicket of bombs and booby traps that slowed the allied advance through the town.

The massive offensive was aimed at establishing Afghan government authority over the biggest southern town under militant control and breaking the Taliban grip over a wide area of their southern heartland.

Maj. Gen. Nick Carter, NATO commander of forces in southern Afghanistan, said Afghan and coalition troops, aided by 60 helicopters, made a "successful insertion" into Marjah in southern Helmand province. He said the operation was going "without a hitch."

Thousands of British, U.S. and Canadian troops also swept into Taliban areas to the north of Marjah, seeking to clear a wide swath of villages that had been under Taliban control for several years.

No coalition casualties had been reported more than 12 hours after the initial airborne assault, but NATO said three U.S. soldiers were killed Saturday in a bombing elsewhere in southern Afghanistan.

Read Full Story

wjo9522

• Semper Fidelis
    • View Profile
    • Marine Officer
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2010, 11:09:40 PM »
Not all of us are officers making big bank.  I am enlisted and making a lot closer to typical PD pay.  With my retirement I should be fairly comfortable.

As I have gotten older 2 or 3 years doesn't seem as long as it used to and it means I won't have any regrets about my GPA.  I will have everything ready, without the risk that a kid right out of college is going to have to take.  Honestly, I think most law students would do well to start preparing that soon.

I'd like to add that not all officers are making big bank.  Contrast these positions with their civilian counterparts and you'll soon realize the disparity.  You know that military service has never been about the money anyway.

I agree that age puts things more into perspective.  I will not enter LS until the 2016 cycle at the age of 41.  When I consider that I will spend at least three of the next five years deployed, returning from deployment, and training to deploy, that time does not seem all that far off.  Besides perspective, you have to keep a long term goal in mind to make it through the difficult times.  LSD provides a great forum for keeping these goals in focus.
William J. Orr
Chief Warrant Officer
US Marine Corps-Active
1993-2015
Semper Fidelis

interrex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2010, 12:07:35 AM »
so you "forgot" to use the trojan huh? Yeah, me too...... 8)

WOOHOO!!!

interrex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2010, 12:09:32 AM »
So Chief, I take it that you plan to collect a pension before enrolling? If so that should help make it so that you don't need to take out any loans to cover expenses not covered by GIBill.

I'd like to add that not all officers are making big bank.  Contrast these positions with their civilian counterparts and you'll soon realize the disparity.  You know that military service has never been about the money anyway.

I agree that age puts things more into perspective.  I will not enter LS until the 2016 cycle at the age of 41.  When I consider that I will spend at least three of the next five years deployed, returning from deployment, and training to deploy, that time does not seem all that far off.  Besides perspective, you have to keep a long term goal in mind to make it through the difficult times.  LSD provides a great forum for keeping these goals in focus.

wjo9522

• Semper Fidelis
    • View Profile
    • Marine Officer
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2010, 10:10:13 PM »
I'm focusing all my sights on the the only Tier I state funded university in Illinois.  UI--Champaign.  Through the Illinois Veteran's Grant, I'll have free tuition for up to four years with GI Bill for pocket change and a decent pension to help support the family.  If that doesn't work out, I'm hoping for top 50 LS with a decent scholarship, or bust.

So Chief, I take it that you plan to collect a pension before enrolling? If so that should help make it so that you don't need to take out any loans to cover expenses not covered by GIBill.

William J. Orr
Chief Warrant Officer
US Marine Corps-Active
1993-2015
Semper Fidelis