Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How can I make time to Study?  (Read 739 times)

jlongsc

• View Profile
    • Email
How can I make time to Study?
« on: September 02, 2009, 01:34:03 PM »
I'm planning on taking the LSAT in December and have been studying sections off and on for about two months. With three months to go I want to put everything I can in it, and take a Kaplan Course. My only problem is that I work 10 hour shifts starting next week all the way until December, how would you guys suggest going about the studying process? 

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
Re: How can I make time to Study?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 04:31:37 PM »
There's 24 hours in a day....you can work 10, study 3-4 (more if you want), and still sleep 8 hours (less if you want) with a bit of time left over.  Does the Kaplan course fit with your work schedule?  Do you work weekends?  You can make it work if you manage your time
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

dtspika71

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 05:14:14 PM »
this is a tuffy...

here's the deal...dont buy into that "ra-ra" nonsense that there's 24 hours in a day, wake up at 4am and study, work, eat then sleep routine. It will only TIRE you out and the worst thing that can happen for you is to put the hours into studying and NOT gain anything because of a mental and physcial block.

You need to find a balance between study, work and REST.

Pepperdine2010

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 06:12:20 PM »
^Agree. Find a balance. If you hang out with friends after work, watch tv. etc. those are things you can decrease to add more study time. I wouldn't recommend going into a strict routine as ^^ mentioned. I've done that and all you accomplish is exhausting yourself.

Good luck.

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 06:24:46 PM »
Of course s/he should find a balance.  I wasn't prescribing a regimen, just pointing out there is time- one can study more/less, sleep more/less, but my point was there is time even when working 10 hours a day you can make time to study if you manage your time wisely. 

I'm assuming s/he's not working 10 hours a day 7 days a week (which is why I asked about weekends), and I also asked if the Kaplan course fit with the work schedule.  I wasn't recommending a plan where you work every day of the week and study every day of the week, just pointing out that even when working 10 hours a day there is still time to study, sleep, have some off time, and could even be time to take a class (evening or weekends) depending on when you work.
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

lawlawlaw77

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 09:00:02 PM »
Remember that LSAT is a different breed of test than anything you have come in contact with...  This is not a memorization test like 95% of all tests given in an educational setting. I honestly think that it is completely ineffective to study for more than 2 or 3 hours (3 hours is really pushing it) in one day.

LSAT is more like learning to play an instrument.  One hour a day is much better than a 10 hour jam-out on Saturday.

Keep in mind it's all about consistency. My score got stuck on 158-162 FOREVER then I just randomly jumped up 4 pts one day and never looked back.  If I could do it all over again I would have just studied for 1-2hrs a day but made it a priority (i.e. go hide somewhere and turn off your cell phone.  Make it a meaningful 1 or 2 hours).

After that don't feel bad if you go play.  You need to turn off and do some mindless activity and let this crap soak in.  I suggest only studying 6 days a week.

Remember, it's like playing an instrument... The absolute worst thing you could do is burn out or panic, this will ensure a frustrating experience come test time.

Don't worry, you got it.  You sound like a hard working person and I hope that it goes really well for you!

!закон и право!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 09:55:10 PM »
Remember that LSAT is a different breed of test than anything you have come in contact with...  This is not a memorization test like 95% of all tests given in an educational setting. I honestly think that it is completely ineffective to study for more than 2 or 3 hours (3 hours is really pushing it) in one day.

LSAT is more like learning to play an instrument.  One hour a day is much better than a 10 hour jam-out on Saturday.

Keep in mind it's all about consistency. My score got stuck on 158-162 FOREVER then I just randomly jumped up 4 pts one day and never looked back.  If I could do it all over again I would have just studied for 1-2hrs a day but made it a priority (i.e. go hide somewhere and turn off your cell phone.  Make it a meaningful 1 or 2 hours).

After that don't feel bad if you go play.  You need to turn off and do some mindless activity and let this crap soak in.  I suggest only studying 6 days a week.

Remember, it's like playing an instrument... The absolute worst thing you could do is burn out or panic, this will ensure a frustrating experience come test time.

Don't worry, you got it.  You sound like a hard working person and I hope that it goes really well for you!

I agree with the instrument analogy. I've said it before: more is not necessarily better. The time you invest in this test should be quality study time.