Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Pass on day 3?  (Read 3657 times)

OhioUTOD

• Notre Dame Law Class of 2012
    • View Profile
    • Email
Pass on day 3?
« on: August 31, 2009, 09:13:36 PM »
On the third day of CivPro:

<Super hardline old school prof>: Ok, Ms. _________. State the facts of Pennoyer.

<student>: *5 seconds silence* Um........ *flips page.*

<Prof, with incredulous look>: .....yes?

<student>: *10 seconds silence* Uhhh........ *flips page*

<Prof leans across podium>

<student>: Uh...pass.

<Prof shakes head, takes down note.>

Ouch, day three. Who comes into a classroom on the third day not even being able to state a single fact from the only case we've had assigned, especially at a top tier school?

RobWreck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Pass on day 3?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 09:16:39 PM »
Don't be so harsh... in fact, you should be thankful for that person. It's not that often that somebody so readily steps up and says "I'll take the low grade that the mandatory curve requires the teacher give to someone." Hell, you should probably buy the person a beer and encourage them to keep up the good work. ;-)
St. John's University School of Law '11
Part-time PM Division
Admitted in NY

OhioUTOD

• Notre Dame Law Class of 2012
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 09:20:34 PM »
Lol..

No harshness from me. And in a couple weeks, I probably wouldn't have paid much notice.  I just thought it was shocking that on your third day, you would come in without having at least the facts down, especially when the day before, the prof clearly states, "I will be calling on people tomorrow, and if you pass, it will affect your grade."

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 09:40:16 PM »
Lol..

No harshness from me. And in a couple weeks, I probably wouldn't have paid much notice.  I just thought it was shocking that on your third day, you would come in without having at least the facts down, especially when the day before, the prof clearly states, "I will be calling on people tomorrow, and if you pass, it will affect your grade."

maybe she just froze, she migh have know the stuff but was too scared to speak up so she passed. Being first on the first day of socratic sucks, but man get it over with is my view
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

MauveAvenger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 06:28:09 PM »
Somebody passed on the second day here, except they admitted they hadn't even read the case.

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 03:13:33 PM »
So glad I go to a reputable school where exams matter, not subjective BS that occurs in class....

johnnyv1117

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 07:04:45 PM »
We've had 3 people pass in our Contracts class already, and today the professor gave us all a lecture on the importance of preparing.  Seriously i dont know whats so hard about just looking up the case online and finding a brief if you couldnt get all the reading done, at least if you do that you wont look like a complete idiot.

schizm

• View Profile
    • Outlines4Lawschool
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 07:46:12 PM »
We've had 3 people pass in our Contracts class already, and today the professor gave us all a lecture on the importance of preparing.  Seriously i dont know whats so hard about just looking up the case online and finding a brief if you couldnt get all the reading done, at least if you do that you wont look like a complete idiot.

Sure wish that when I went to law school more stuff was online. It wasn't too long ago that the high-notes (if that was what they were called) case summaries from the bookstore were all you could get and often they were not for your book so you only had 50% of the cases. I somewhat envy students now... though law school was hell so I care not to do it again.
www.outlines4lawschool.com - Law School Outlines & FREE Bar Exam Outlines!