Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is there a credit hour minimum to transfer?  (Read 2006 times)

youarehydrogen

• View Profile
    • Email
Is there a credit hour minimum to transfer?
« on: August 31, 2009, 12:10:13 AM »
I am currently a part-time student, and will earn 20 credit hours this year. I would really like to transfer up, but am concerned that this will not be possible due to the lower number of credits. Has anyone transferred up from a part-time program? I can always take classes in the summer, but I fear that by the time summer grades were released it would be too late to apply. I would love to hear any thoughts. Thanks!

xxspykex

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is there a credit hour minimum to transfer?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 01:42:19 AM »
Typically need 28-29 credits to transfer.

scoop333

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 11:02:34 AM »
Transferring from PT to FT is not as common as FT to FT, but it has been done.  I would contact the specific schools you are interested to inquire about the minimum number of credits the school will take.  Ususally there is a max. number of credits that a school will accept, roughly around 30 credits.  Good luck!

youarehydrogen

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 12:56:09 AM »
im sure its not too common, but just knowing that it is possible is nice to know.

TrumpWho??

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 11:51:26 PM »
Don't listen to what the school tells you and apply regardless if there is a school you are set on going to. HLS told me I couldnt apply unless I had 30 credits but I applied anyways and got in. The "official" answer is not always correct and if you talk to a different person in the same office you will get different answers. I talked to several schools and pretty much everyone will take you, especially given the financial condition of some of these schools.

xxspykex

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 04:24:00 AM »
Transferring from PT to FT is not as common as FT to FT, but it has been done.  I would contact the specific schools you are interested to inquire about the minimum number of credits the school will take.  Ususally there is a max. number of credits that a school will accept, roughly around 30 credits.  Good luck!

TITCR.

Unfortunately, if you want to transfer into a FT program you will probably need 28-29 credits, which may not even be possible with summer school. The only t14 I know of with a PT program you can transfer into would be GULC (and ITE it really isn't worth paying sticker anywhere outside the t14, and even GULC is extremely risky). However, if you could make the min credit requirement the summer grades being released to late shouldn't be an issue -- the school should be able to make a decision with just your first 2 semester grades (but you really need to call the schools to find out more because it all varies by school).