Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 136 diagnostic....Help  (Read 1551 times)

Kaiser7935

• View Profile
    • Email
136 diagnostic....Help
« on: August 29, 2009, 11:37:17 PM »
I recently scored a 136 on my diagnostic test. I currently have all three powerscore bibles and will be taking the December LSAT. Being that I have such a low GPA, I am aiming to score at least 160. I am in desperate need of any type of advice on how to go about studying because I will be taking a full load of classes this upcoming semester. Any help would be great.

Mason09

• View Profile
Re: 136 diagnostic....Help
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 12:15:53 AM »
just stick with me buddy you'll be fine. I'm currently hitting at 141  ;D

Remember you talked me out of grad school and $1200 to enroll in this super power score course lol But right now we are pretty f$$$in powerless so grab your power bibles lol and keep it moving.

Kaiser7935

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 12:28:19 AM »
Anyone else? Please? :'(

js11287

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 12:55:09 AM »
Well...you have time, so don't panic.

Like I told Mason, just narrow it down so that you focus on individual question types rather than the huge, scary test all at once. Concentrate on mastering certain sections or question types. Like when I first started studying, I was really weak in everything but reading comp. I spent the first month basically only doing main-point questions in the reasoning sections and moved on from there. Now that I've tackled the questions in that section, I can focus on games.

Don't keep taking diagnostic tests that you score low on. Don't fixate on the actual score-its nice to have a goal, but just be realistic and do the best that you can on each section. It will come together.

Kaiser7935

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 01:58:41 AM »

Like I told Mason, just narrow it down so that you focus on individual question types rather than the huge, scary test all at once. Concentrate on mastering certain sections or question types. Like when I first started studying, I was really weak in everything but reading comp. I spent the first month basically only doing main-point questions in the reasoning sections and moved on from there. Now that I've tackled the questions in that section, I can focus on games.

Don't keep taking diagnostic tests that you score low on. Don't fixate on the actual score-its nice to have a goal, but just be realistic and do the best that you can on each section. It will come together.

Well, I have started with the logical reasoning bible so far. I am on the Must be true section, and I have seen some improvement so far. You have made me more confident of my approach. I had planned to consistently study one bible at a time. But at what point do you recommend that I start doing practice tests? And when I start, should they be untimed? Also, do you think that a 136 is to much of a hole to climb from if I am aiming at a 160 by December? Thanks

dtspika71

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 01:59:38 AM »

Well, I have started with the logical reasoning bible so far. I am on the Must be true section, and I have seen some improvement so far. You have made me more confident of my approach. I had planned to consistently study one bible at a time. But at what point do you recommend that I start doing practice tests? And when I start, should they be untimed? Also, do you think that a 136 is to much of a hole to climb from if I am aiming at a 160 by December? Thanks

DONT even think of doing practice tests yet...you will only bruise your confidence and deter your ability. I started with a 136 too and scored a 172 recently. Go slow and steady gradually building up your knowledge, studying for this test is like become a Jedi Master...you have to go through a series of training before you can reach the final level of mastery.

My suggestions is this: Go with the PW books and the 2004 deconstructed book, then start attacking questions randomly but not a whole times test yet. Keep a mental clock in your head for now then once you have the basics and understanding then begin a times test and your focus with 1-2 months out before taking the real exam should be working on effiency and speed. That is why people suggest 200 hours of selfstudy. Decemeber is plenty of time but remember, you need to stay sharp so I do not suggest studying one day and then picking up where you left off 3 days later...

Kaiser7935

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 12:59:46 AM »
I was thinking about going over the LR Bible for 3 hours a day in Sept, Logic Games for 3 hours a day in Oct, and start doing practice tests twice a week while studying RC in November. Does this sound reasonable or should I study them all at the same time?

Kaiser7935

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 01:03:12 AM »
Should I attack LR first then logic games or should I study all of the bibles at the same time?

crossingmyfingers

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 12:26:16 AM »
Should I attack LR first then logic games or should I study all of the bibles at the same time?

I did LR, LG, then RC.  This approach has worked out pretty well for me.  I am currently just taking full length, timed practice tests in preparation for the Sept. 26th test.  I'm not quite where I want to be, but I'm very close.

I have mixed feelings regarding the RCB... As for the others, read every page of those guys.  I learn best by writing things down, so I took notes.  Each of my bibles is stuffed full of notebook paper.  Really spend some time reading these book closely and completing all of the practice sections. 

edit: I agree with the posted above: Don't take anymore timed preptests.  Hell, don't any of them period until you've finished at least the LRB and LGB.

Kaiser7935

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 01:31:56 AM »

I did LR, LG, then RC.  This approach has worked out pretty well for me.  I am currently just taking full length, timed practice tests in preparation for the Sept. 26th test.  I'm not quite where I want to be, but I'm very close.

I have mixed feelings regarding the RCB... As for the others, read every page of those guys.  I learn best by writing things down, so I took notes.  Each of my bibles is stuffed full of notebook paper.  Really spend some time reading these book closely and completing all of the practice sections. 

edit: I agree with the posted above: Don't take anymore timed preptests.  Hell, don't any of them period until you've finished at least the LRB and LGB.

How long did you study?