Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How do I use hornbooks?  (Read 3734 times)

KoalaTamer

• View Profile
How do I use hornbooks?
« on: August 29, 2009, 08:35:18 PM »
I purchased the Chemerinsky hornbook for Constitutional Law (recommended by a student who had taken the same course with the same professor in the past), and my Torts professor suggested looking at Dobbs "if it seems to help." How will I know when I should look at a hornbook? How do I know what to look at?

Any advice from top students on incorporating hornbooks would be excellent. Thank you so much!

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
Re: How do I use hornbooks?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 10:17:53 AM »
Just read them concurrently with whatever topic you're covering in class.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 10:19:39 AM »
I purchased the Chemerinsky hornbook for Constitutional Law (recommended by a student who had taken the same course with the same professor in the past), and my Torts professor suggested looking at Dobbs "if it seems to help." How will I know when I should look at a hornbook? How do I know what to look at?

Any advice from top students on incorporating hornbooks would be excellent. Thank you so much!

How do you use hornbooks?  You dont. Everything you need to learn the prof will teach you.  You dont need anything else.  If there is something particularly difficult to grasp, then you look at an old outline.  Return the hornbooks.  Dont waste your time/money.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 10:21:51 AM »
How do you use hornbooks?  You dont. Everything you need to learn the prof will teach you.  You dont need anything else.  If there is something particularly difficult to grasp, then you look at an old outline.  Return the hornbooks.  Dont waste your time/money.

I respectfully disagree.  Return the casebooks if anything.

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 12:55:10 PM »
Read the hornbook if you have time (which you won't) or to get your bearings when you haven't kept up with the reading and/or have kept up with the reading but still feel lost.  Or, it can be helpful if you have the Chemerinsky casebook, your prof. assigns you a ton of reading, and you don't have much time.  The hornbook is organized in the same order as his casebook pretty much so you can get a good summary of the less important cases and then figure out what case or cases you should focus on reading (or just substitute the hornbook reading for your casebook reading if you don't have time.)  Or never read it.  It really depends on what you feel comfortable with (which is hard to figure out your first semester.)  Whatever you do, don't get advice from your classmates and don't put to much stock in what other people tell you to do.  Just tell yourself that whatever it is you're doing, you're doing it correctly and everyone else is either a time-wasting moron or a lazy moron who doesn't spend enough time studying.  Self-delusion will do wonders for you in law school.     

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 01:29:53 PM »

1L?

KoalaTamer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 04:34:51 PM »
Just tell yourself that whatever it is you're doing, you're doing it correctly and everyone else is either a time-wasting moron or a lazy moron who doesn't spend enough time studying.  Self-delusion will do wonders for you in law school.     

Haha, that's actually some pretty sound advice (I think). Thanks!

Joey Porsche

• Ya feels me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 05:00:57 PM »

look at me i'm so smart i don't need hornbooks! hahaha stupid 1L's

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 05:02:17 PM »

1L?

0L?

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2009, 08:01:16 PM »

1L?

0L?

haha, I legitimately like the comeback.  I actually just graduated though and am obviously incredibly bored.