Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I was granted a 2 year deferral, but now I want to go elsewhere. Is it possible?  (Read 2474 times)

beknyght

• View Profile
Hi All,

I was granted a 2 year deferral from law school as a way to do AmeriCore. Now, I am not sure if I want to attend the school that I was accepted to. I know a little about the rules governing deferrals. However, I am curious to know if I wanted to, is there any way to get out of my 2 year deferral? Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks,

Bkynt-

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
Hi All,

I was granted a 2 year deferral from law school as a way to do AmeriCore. Now, I am not sure if I want to attend the school that I was accepted to. I know a little about the rules governing deferrals. However, I am curious to know if I wanted to, is there any way to get out of my 2 year deferral? Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks,

Bkynt-

Was there any paperwork? The conditions of the deferral should be written out for you somewhere. You must have signed something that told you what you were agreeing to.
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

beknyght

• View Profile
There was paper which stated that I had to attend their school and withdraw applications for the others. However, what if I just don't want to go to that school altogether. Is it go form to just with draw my seat, wait a year, and then reapply elsewhere?

Changed Name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
At the end of the day, it seems that you have some sort of contract.  (NOTE:  THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE, just what I think is going on.)

Contracts can be modified with mutual assent from both parties.  Best things to do: (1) read the contract carefully (there may be an "out" clause); (2) if there isn't, talk to the School and let them know what's going on.  Try to get the school to let you out of the contract.

It is bad form to make a promise and then break it, especially in the legal community.  Will the school sue you?  Probably not.  But, you don't want to leave that bad taste so early in your professional career.  Make sure you handle this in a mature manner and let the school know your reasons.

buffettologie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
The idea that a school would sue you is ridiculous. The worst thing that will happen is that if the school you deferred from catches wind of you reapplying they may notify peer schools that you're likely applying to (similar to ED). If you're upfront about this you can reject your deferral and go wherever you want. The shady part is holding on to the deferral and reapplying to see what you land. If this is your plan tread lightly for reputational reasons but not b/c the school is going to sue you.
U of C 2010