Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: RANT: 2009 Legal Job Market  (Read 7422 times)

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
Re: RANT: 2009 Legal Job Market
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 10:53:46 AM »
I feel like your grades hardly matter right now. I was top 10% and on the editorial board of law review at a low T2. I'm trying to do some networking, but the local bar association I joined doesn't seem to have many events.

Is there an Inn of the court in your city, I found that to be very helpful networking wise. Most of the events I go to stemmed from knowing people there.

No. Just the local bar association. I joined that and a couple of the committees associated with it. They seem to pretty much never have meetings or events.

I don't know, honestly what drives me insane is that, I'll apply to a job posting listed on my school's website. It will say something like "recent law grad wanted for a position as a law clerk" or "part-time work for recent law grad" and I will never hear from the firm. I've had my resume checked over by attorneys so many times and I know it's fine, cover letter checked by career services....so why with my grades can I not even get an interview? It really upsets me. I feel like it's a sign I'm not supposed to be a lawyer.   

Thatís the problem with want ads, everyone else seems them as well. So they get inundated with applications. Law students like them because its easy, all you got to do e-mail off your stuff. The problem then is your just another piece of paper and the only way to tell them paper is arbitrary grades, school, LR ect. The best job opening come word of mouth so there is much fewer comepation. Have looked to see if there are more active bar groups, maybe a young lawyers division? I guess Iím lucky that my bar is so active. What city are you in? Donít tale other people none response to your resume as your not meant to be a lawyer, thatís BS, you just need a shot to prove, in this economy those shots are rare, keep your chin up and keep looking. Something will come along.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 10:21:48 AM »
I feel like your grades hardly matter right now. I was top 10% and on the editorial board of law review at a low T2. I'm trying to do some networking, but the local bar association I joined doesn't seem to have many events.

Is there an Inn of the court in your city, I found that to be very helpful networking wise. Most of the events I go to stemmed from knowing people there.

No. Just the local bar association. I joined that and a couple of the committees associated with it. They seem to pretty much never have meetings or events.

I don't know, honestly what drives me insane is that, I'll apply to a job posting listed on my school's website. It will say something like "recent law grad wanted for a position as a law clerk" or "part-time work for recent law grad" and I will never hear from the firm. I've had my resume checked over by attorneys so many times and I know it's fine, cover letter checked by career services....so why with my grades can I not even get an interview? It really upsets me. I feel like it's a sign I'm not supposed to be a lawyer.   

no.  its a sign that people in law firms can be assholes.

happens to me all the time.

i followed up on one and told them that if i can take the time to apply, they could at least do me the courtesy of responding whether they want me or not.  i was pissed, it prolly didnt help, but it made me feel better.

much better.
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

Miche

• View Profile
    • Sharp & Useless
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2009, 12:49:41 PM »
Definitely a scary market. I think it helps to set tangible goals that you can reach. I mean, you can't MAKE someone reply to you. If you define success as hearing back from someone, you'll feel helpless in the instances when you receive no response. And that helpless, churning feeling is what causes most of the terror, I think.

Set certain attainable daily, weekly, and monthly goals. Every day, send out 5 well-crafted letters to places that you've researched. Not form letters, but letters with specific references to the program or firm's recent accomplishments and how your experience (limited though it is) is directly applicable. Letters that discuss why the program or firm is especially admirable, what traits you see in the program/firm, and why you're sending the letter right now. Even when places aren't hiring, they can be swayed by sincere and unique letters. (Has worked for me twice before, in law school and after graduation. And even better success stories for my friends.)

Every week, set up one appointment to talk to SOMEBODY about the legal market. It can be informationals with recruiters or local alumni, it can be a meet and greet with the judiciary or a public agency, it can be a young lawyers' meeting or political social event...anything. Just get out there. Because being around other people is healthy; it prevents you from moping around the house and it keeps you circulating and staying positive. Also, you get new ideas when you're in new situations.

Every month, make a commitment to do some kind of legal work. It can be consulting, free-lance, pro bono, auditing a course, going to an MCLE (even though you may not get credit)...anything. Just do something so that when people ask what you're doing, you can talk about something other than your job search.

Concerning the lack of response, I made a spreadsheet. I tracked when I sent info to people and how long it had been since a response. After the 3 week mark, I sent a letter (different, still positive, still researched) with more info about myself and a polite inquiry as to the status of their search.

G'luck!
Lawyers: performing acts on desks that no decent person would ever do.
-Miche, co-creator of Sharp & Useless