Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: RANT: 2009 Legal Job Market  (Read 7369 times)

woomen

• View Profile
    • Email
RANT: 2009 Legal Job Market
« on: August 27, 2009, 02:27:52 PM »
This job market sucks, especially for recent law grads (Class of 2009).  Who is with me on this?  Rant away!!!!

chevelle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: RANT: 2009 Legal Job Market
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 06:42:16 PM »
Me . . . it sucked being told by 2 firms that they definitely would have hired me as an associate if the economic situation was not so bad.

I have an interview for a paid internship tomorrow. I hope I get it. At least it'll be some good experience while I look for a job.

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 09:53:01 AM »
thirded.

although i am not looking for legal employment, the job market is a biotch all around
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 07:35:11 PM »
I seriously can't believe how bad it is.  I was on law review, did internships during the school year at DOJ and an appellate court, and can't find the public interest job I desperately wanted.

Of course, my grades aren't top third, but going to a top tier with these credentials should have done the trick - not this year.

Also, if my frickin' uneducated mother sends me one more job via email that I am not qualified enough to even apply for, I will scream!

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 02:51:22 PM »
I seriously can't believe how bad it is.  I was on law review, did internships during the school year at DOJ and an appellate court, and can't find the public interest job I desperately wanted.

Of course, my grades aren't top third, but going to a top tier with these credentials should have done the trick - not this year.

Also, if my frickin' uneducated mother sends me one more job via email that I am not qualified enough to even apply for, I will scream!

Top tier as in where?

chevelle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 06:22:02 PM »
I feel like your grades hardly matter right now. I was top 10% and on the editorial board of law review at a low T2. I'm trying to do some networking, but the local bar association I joined doesn't seem to have many events.

And I accepted the paid internship on the phone with the guy running it, and today I got a rejection letter. I called and they assured me this was a clerical error, but I'm kind of freaking out. I emailed the person in charge about it and he hasn't gotten back to me yet.

The worst part is that I had gotten an interview for another internship and declined it because I thought I had one . . . .

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 09:50:11 AM »
I feel like your grades hardly matter right now. I was top 10% and on the editorial board of law review at a low T2. I'm trying to do some networking, but the local bar association I joined doesn't seem to have many events.

And I accepted the paid internship on the phone with the guy running it, and today I got a rejection letter. I called and they assured me this was a clerical error, but I'm kind of freaking out. I emailed the person in charge about it and he hasn't gotten back to me yet.

The worst part is that I had gotten an interview for another internship and declined it because I thought I had one . . . .

no, grades dont seem to matter at all...graduated with honors here, and cant even get a foot in the door.

have an interview thursday, so things hopefully will me looking up
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 12:20:55 PM »

Is there an Inn of the court in your city, I found that to be very helpful networking wise. Most of the events I go to stemmed from knowing people there.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

woomen

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 09:54:27 AM »
I feel for all of you.  I'm a recent grad, top 30 at a T3 school, and I have a temp job working at a wall st firm in NYC.  I feel fortunate just having this.  So many people in worse situations.  Do whatever you can - paid internships, temp jobs, whatever to get your foot in the door!

chevelle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 10:01:51 AM »

Is there an Inn of the court in your city, I found that to be very helpful networking wise. Most of the events I go to stemmed from knowing people there.

No. Just the local bar association. I joined that and a couple of the committees associated with it. They seem to pretty much never have meetings or events.

I don't know, honestly what drives me insane is that, I'll apply to a job posting listed on my school's website. It will say something like "recent law grad wanted for a position as a law clerk" or "part-time work for recent law grad" and I will never hear from the firm. I've had my resume checked over by attorneys so many times and I know it's fine, cover letter checked by career services....so why with my grades can I not even get an interview? It really upsets me. I feel like it's a sign I'm not supposed to be a lawyer.